What's new

Will this laptop run 1964

JAzzmatazz

Hiya all, found these forums whilst googling about this stuff :)

I've got a laptop with a controlpad and I want to be able to play my n64 games on it.

Do you think this laptop will run them?

Compaq Evo N400C
850mhz Pentium III
512meg ram
20gig hdd
8meg ATI Rage Mobility Graphics

Basically what I would like to know is if it will run on this laptop. I've been using something called ZSNES to play super nintendo on there and its fine, but I was thinking about doing the same with N64.

Please could someone point me in the right direction (i.e. u got any links?) to the most suitable plugins etc that I should use for this system.

I've been told that ATI gfx cards can have problems so if anyone has any ways round them it would also be appreciated :D

Thanks very much,

Alex.

p.s. on another note. I tried to play some on my desktop pc:

AMD64 4000+ (San Diego)
2gig ram
onboard 7.1 sound
400gig hard drive
ATI x850xtPE graphics card

and it was TERRIBLE! looks absolutely awful all the textures were flying around n stuff with grass in the sky and bits of **** all over it looks a proper mess.

I have a feeling its cause 1964 doesnt like ATI grahpics but I dont know. So I suppose this thread is asking two questions really....

1) will my lappy run this stuff?

2) how on earth to I make this run on my beast ATI machine without looking all garbled?

Thanks very much again and sorry im a noob,

Alex.

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
The laptop will get problems, it's the graphics card fault, the card is to old. But the desktop shouldn't have any problems ^^. If you used the default plugin that comes with 1964 may that be the problem. I can recommend an other plugin, try direct64 which you can found in the forums download section.

Clements

It is possible to run quite a few N64 games on the laptop with 1964. The Ati Rage as you know is not good, but you can get a lot of graphics to show correctly using the Glide64 plugin with the eVoodoo wrapper. The wrapper is designed to run pretty well on low-end video cards. The wrapper has it's own problems such as not having multitexturing or framebuffer, but this only affects a minority of games, so it'll be enough for SM64 and Smash Bros. etc.

As for your desktop, it should run well. You may need to try a few plugins out and see which works best for the ATi card.

- Jabo's video plugin ought to work really well with most games - just copy the plugin from PJ64 and it'll work without much configuring.

- With Rice's Video, you may need to enable Software T&L and the Software Clipper, and also which combiner to use (Pixel Shader combiner or High-end combiner to see which works best).

- You can use Glide64 also for some games that bug up in another plugins, but I recommend you use Hacktarux's wrapper that is bundled with the plugin since it works great with high-end video cards.

- Grab Direct64 from the plugins forum as well, it has very good image quality and works well with a number of games.

OP
J

JAzzmatazz

wow thanks very much for the responses :D

The game I really want to play is called wetrix also maybe rampage. Its not a demanding game as such thankfully.

Would you be able to provide links to everything I need I have only got 1964 at the moment and the games.

I am an utter noob for example i have NO IDEA what is this pj64 so if I could just click on it and it would go on my pc that would be brilliant :D

Thanks again,

J

OP
J

JAzzmatazz

I've downloaded the stuff you said as best I know how. But now it just says

"Your graphics card does not support GL_ARB_texture_env_combine extension"

"Your graphics card does not support GL_ARB_multitexture extension"

I have no idea what I did wrong or what to do to make it right :(

arnalion

Nintendo Fan
JAzzmatazz said:
wow thanks very much for the responses :D

The game I really want to play is called wetrix also maybe rampage. Its not a demanding game as such thankfully.

Would you be able to provide links to everything I need I have only got 1964 at the moment and the games.

I am an utter noob for example i have NO IDEA what is this pj64 so if I could just click on it and it would go on my pc that would be brilliant :D

Thanks again,

J

PJ64 is short for Project64 which also is a good emulator. If you wan't jabo's graphics plugin will you have to download the emulator and take the plugin from it (it can only be found in that bundle). Projec64 can also be found in the download section

OP
J

JAzzmatazz

also what is an RSP plugin and do i need one cause at the moment I've got the picture ok but the sound is terrible.

OP
J

JAzzmatazz

ok i've got it running nicely BUT the sound!! I just cant get it right it sounds absolute shit and it slows down when there is a lot of sound.

My soundcard is the onboard ESS Allegro.