What's new

wii u running homebrew

F

Fanatic 64

I myself have been waiting 16 years for a homebrew game (game, not crappy test) to appear on Nintendo 64 (and the closest thing I've ever got to it is Funnel Cube).

And the Wii U gets a homebrew on day one... ¬¬

Cyberman

I myself have been waiting 16 years for a homebrew game (game, not crappy test) to appear on Nintendo 64 (and the closest thing I've ever got to it is Funnel Cube).

And the Wii U gets a homebrew on day one... ¬¬

The N64 was a bit difficult without the dev kit from Silicon Graphics and Nintendo, more importantly was the hardware was difficult and expensive to make to emulate the cartridges (in 1996). The cost was prohibitive, if you have seen the N64 dev system you would understand that making an HB game with there system was annoying even for the professional developers. It took a lot of effort to make something like CBFD for example. It's much easier to emulate a disk system than a cartridge system.

Personally I think Ninty would have been much wiser to use SD cards instead of the cartridges they did use. SD cards were in the works about the same time their console came out. Unfortunately politics got in the way of faster adoption of the SD standard. Anyhow life goes on!

I suppose one could specifically make a system that is homebrew using the open hardware license scheme.

The problem is SD card requires a license for using the locked portions of the standard (IE encrypted data limited copying etc.) This would require one to 'centralize' the distribution of games on media. DLC might be possible. The interesting thing about SD cards is there density rivals DVD at reasonable cost. In addition to the plain distribution of media the save game part can just used SD cards (so you don't have to worry about people whining about 'save game size et al'). Last but not least it's not too difficult to make a console be able to edit game maps etc (IE include a dev kit) that is open enough for distribution and download from internet sites. That would also work.

Enough of this about that :D

Cyb