What's new

Why not open source? What happened?

squeakypants

I don't understand why they didn't make it open source. As long as it's GPLed or something they'd still get credit. If they allowed the community to update it we'd probably have perfect emulation by now. Better plugins for graphics and input. We'd even have kaillera support!

It's amazing it's gotten this far, as the emulation is pretty damn smooth, but many games have bugs. Even if they are still working on it, they could still release builds, and also have collaborative input (allow people to submit modified code). If they aren't working on it, I'm sure the community would take over. It's been 2 years since the last release, while the releases were about a month apart before (and there have only been 3 in total).

Where are the developers? Why did they just abandon the project without any word? They spent 6 months on it as far as I can tell, and there hasn't been any update since.

I know they won't see this, and I'm not asking them to release the code, but I'm asking what happened to the entire project, and why there hasn't been word from them in so long.

Q: Is Chankast dead? When is the next version going to be released? Will it support the "xyz" feature or the "xyz" game?
A: Questions of this kind are annoying and do not lead anywhere so please don't ask.

I know it's (extremely probably) dead, but my point is, does anyone know what happened?

---

At least soon we'll have nullDC. I still feel like chanka is a story without an ending.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
No one really knows wjhat happened apart from the developers. You can speculate why they didn't do this and that, but quite frankly the same questions have been asked at least a 100 times in the past and we don't know any better now than we did back then.

OP
S

squeakypants

I just find it rediculous. Not that they backed out of the project, but that they just abandoned it without word. They worked 6 months on it, which is a lot of time to just let go of without word. To this day it's still the only DC emulator playing commercial games (though soon that may be changed), so they should have noticed it.

Cobrax1884

Banned
WHY GOD huh? WHY? WHY did they have to abandon the coolest DC emus project huh WHY? lol.
That right.Till now, most of the dc games would be fully emulated if they would continue developing.Oh well, WHY GOD WHY huh? WHYYYYYYY?
Wheeeeeeeeee, i'l wait for NullDC 'stands on a chair and waits few weeks'.
Ok, i heard from a beta tester of nulldc that it's release will be preatty soon so get ready, HEARE IT COMES.
www.goheretodownloadnulldcyesitsreal.com

JKKDARK

The Chankast authors said: "Do you think that a DC emulator is impossible? Shut up and play our Chankast!"

Stezo2k

S-2K
There was speculation of a source code when they release 1.0 from what I can remember

Maybe it isn't abandoned? Just the authors havent got the time to work on it so theres slow progress? Who knows?

I hope they'll be an update one day but I aint going to build my hopes up