What's new

Why no news?

Dunge

Why do emulators who are the most advanced always stay in the dark for some months, even years without saying anything? I hapenned to some N64 emulator, now it happen to dolphin. I don't want to hear "make one yourself if you are not happy", I'm a programmer myself and know how hard and crazy this might be, but I just wonder why they don't want to talk about their progress on the mainpage, at least say when they acomplish something..

from what I saw, projects that give news often, and release betas to the public once upon a time always result in a better final product at the end,... projects who say "you will see when it will be done" keep a small communauty for a few years until another better one get released and this one drown

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Dunge said:
Why do emulators who are the most advanced always stay in the dark for some months, even years without saying anything? I hapenned to some N64 emulator, now it happen to dolphin. I don't want to hear "make one yourself if you are not happy", I'm a programmer myself and know how hard and crazy this might be, but I just wonder why they don't want to talk about their progress on the mainpage, at least say when they acomplish something..

from what I saw, projects that give news often, and release betas to the public once upon a time always result in a better final product at the end,... projects who say "you will see when it will be done" keep a small communauty for a few years until another better one get released and this one drown
EMulate a next gen console isn't such easy some ppl think and we have a teaser release and everybody can see what F/RES and his crew had done in such a short periode of time. They show that emulating a GC is possible. But now they wanna do another great step forward, show more games to boot and make a speed increase, but that's a hard job to do and why you wanna see progress? It would be greater if they would release a new version in 48 hours and boot all games which are published, wouldn't it?
Look in the future and don't ask such questions, plz.

He was just making a suggestion, he is not saying that it is easy, and he is not saying please make it 100% tommorow, or even this year, he didnt ask for newer versions of the emulator every day; he simply made a point: the most successful emulators in the end are often the ones which used their webpage to post some news each week about what has been done since the last time they posted news on the webpage, drawing more interest from the community.

The answer would probably be that it is their choice, they can do what they want and publicise the emulator as they want, maybe they dont update the news regularly because they code a bit like me; nothing for 2 weeks because i cant be arsed and then suddenly a few days of devoted non-stop work, if they work like i do then you can understand why they dont post regular updates.

bLAdEbLA

Insert clever rhetoric here.
I'm with MasterPhW_DX. If I enjoyed coding as a hobby, and wished to get recognition or satisfaction out of my love for emulation, I'd do just what the developers have done. We should be thankful that the not-so-technically-savvy of us get to enjoy such fine work.

Dunge said:
projects who say "you will see when it will be done" keep a small communauty for a few years until another better one get released and this one drown

Patience, Dolphin has gained worldwide recognition and I have doubts the community will drop off - just take it from all the kiddies asking for ISO's!

Unless nothing is done for as long as a certain DC emulator was left, then I think patience will pay off. That's my 2 yen.

This has been answered as if he asked for more updates sooner, he did not make a request begging for more updates so that he could play his downloaded r0mZ better, he made a suggestion for the publicity of the project, he was not being impatient necessarily himself, at no point does he mention his own interests. If he is asking whether this would help the publicity of the project, he shouldnt be told to be more patient...

He suggested that if a little more news was posted, it would be better for publicity of the project. I know that when i make even small mods or do a little bit of work on my Q2/Q3 engine game mods i want people to know about it; this helps the publicity of the mod. However, emulator coding may be much harder, and too much publicity may build up expectations too high; in a project like this they could easily find some things almost impossible to actually do, if people expect a lot from the emulator, it will be called a failure. They also might code a little like me, and code on and off, thus a regular update may not be great, and if they work a lot and have little to show for it, it may make people think that little work has been done, and be negative for publicity.

OP
D

Dunge

thx willdeharp :)

like you said I don't really mind to wait I'm not asking them to speed up or something..... it's not because I have 2 post that I'm a leecher who want to play faster

MasterPhW_DX : sure it would be great if it would release in 48hour and could run lot of commercial games but you know it won't happen within this time :huh: . But looking at the future like you said and it can't have many disavantage of saying a few words from time to time...

I know they may have time without coding and have some days non-stop but it should be a 2months break :)

The only reason I think is that they don't want to make special builds for releases... like the teaser got the name "TEASER" everywhere with text files and a good interface, that sure took time to make. The current build they are working on must be full of debugging information and crash at some point so they want to keep it to themself

Knuckles

yes, a teaser is a middle-work of what they are doing, a stable build that isn't fully ready for a version release. Ector and F|RES didn't coded for some months, they did some stuff in a month, then stopped for a while, then when one of them want to do something, he simply do it. There is a bit more activity right now , but I can't tell anymore. I can neither say if a release is near or far (I don't even know! :p). And of course, the versions they are working on are betas so not stable builds and if released , what kind of crash list there will be from everyone...... this emu is more like their "pass-time" coding, for their pleasure, like me and my PD maps on UT!

In fact, sometime, when there is no news for a month or 2, it's not that the emu is dead (like most n00b thinks), it might be because , yeah, they are taking a break ;).

I know, I didn't really fully read the other posts (lazy :p) but this is my point of view, that's all ;)

have a good day

jareg

Just A Guy
And thats good if there isint plenty of news
Wont you just love when 1 day you come in emutalk and see there is a new version comed out (its like a good suprise :bouncy: )
So lets wait :whistling

Keith

The Show Must Go On!
Administrator
Yeah Knuckles is correct .. if they are taking a break, which they have been .. then there really isn't anything to post about. When some progress is made and they are ready to share it I am sure you will see a news post about it. :)

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
I didn't want to attack you, Dunge!
But it sounded like you want the release the next day or everyday a new news...
I didn't like it,too, that they don't show more pix, that's like the ePSXe progress or the Zinc progress, you never see somethuing and then, it's released with some new great features...
Sorry if you think I was attacking you!