What's new

What mb to buy? newbie here

tqm189

What is a good stable and very compatable motherboard? Im looking to build a fast AMD XP 1900. Im thinking a Asus board? I dont need Raid or onboard sound. Any suggestions? I probably wont overclock it.
thanks

SuperSonic2K

Lord of the Flies
Hmm I'm not sure if you're serious about building a new PC out of that because I can't find a place around here that sells Socket A mobos anymore, but if it's for like a secondary system it'll suffice, and if you're willing to do some searching around

Back in the day I used an ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe (nForce2 Ultra/400 chipset), and it was a very nice and stable mobo, though expensive. If you were looking for something cheaper I'd definitely look to the ASUS A7N8X-X, which is essentially a stripped-down version of the original. Though you would also have to live without dual-channel memory support.

revl8er

That Damn Good
I can vouch for the A7N8X-E MOBO, I had that in my older system and it worked like a charm. I even had it sitting around for 2 years and when I popped it in a case it booted up no problem with my Athlon XP 3200+.

SuperSonic2K

Lord of the Flies
The EPoX 8RDA+ or 8RGA+ are also another nice fully-loaded ones (the latter has dual-display integrated graphics right out of the box) if you want to go that route as well.