What's new

What is the best way to run games in Chankast?

Chi_no_Rondo_fa

O.K., let me start out by clarifying that I am not asking for ISOs or any other form of pirated software. I own a Dreamcast and have games for it. What I am looking for, is a way to get Chankast to recognize my GD-ROMs, with out making an ISO image.

I.E. is there a GD-ROM driver for Windows, Linux, UNIX, etc? If not, where do I find information about the SEGA Dreamcast GD-ROM system so that I can attempt to write a driver? :robot:

OP
Chi_no_Rondo_fa

Chi_no_Rondo_fa

Agozer said:
Regular CD/DVD-ROM drives can't read GD-ROMs.

First comes the driver, and then comes the drive. I figure if I can port the driver, testing a home made drive would be easier.

Also, you should note that the Sega Dreamcast's GD-ROM system used the OTI-9220 CD-ROM controller, which is single chip implementation of the Sony CXD-3005R DSP/Servo control and Oak Technology's OTI-912 CD-ROM decoder. Sega had their GD-ROM system made to use media with 2x the capacity of standard CDs. Yet, the GD-ROM drive uses standard CD-ROM hardware and firmware.

Keeping this in mind, the question becomes, how does it work? Well, it seems as though it was a trick they did with the spindle motor, having the motor run at half speed. In essence, this would fool the CD-ROM drive's pickup into reading the GD-ROM like a CD-ROM with double capacity. :geek: