What's new

Vista and Gaming... short article on that

Cyberman

This article might be helpful to those game crazy people who are planing on "upgrading" to Vista. Being that I don't even run XP I'm not sure what to say other than "dang", that sucks for some.

Cyb

KingVendrSnatch

無感覚
Ive actually come to like gaming on Vista more so than XP. I use my TV as a monitor with a DVI to HDMI cable. On XP If I can only use 5 or so resolutions. So its either overscan or a little box in the middle of my screen. With Vista I can use any resolution and it fill the screen quite well.

The only problem Ive had with running games so far is that for some reason Vista doesnt like dual monitors. When I have Dual Montiors on the game crashes as it starts. Turn off Dual Montiors and everything is fine. Ive ran Quake III and IV, HL2, Counter Strike, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, Need For Speed Carbon, Hitman Blood Money, Biohazard 4, and C&C 3 Demo and havent had any problems at all.

Last edited:

WhiteX

DRM and now this "backwars compatibility" crap, it seems like Vista is definately not the way to go.

BlueFalcon7

I might cave with halo 2 coming out. However, I have another 160 GB HDD that I recently installed. I currently have OSX on it, and am working on patching it with parts of "deadmoo" I might run boot camp and put vista on an 80 GB partition there. I will see when Halo 2 vista comes out.

Toasty

Sony battery
Now seems like an excellent time to switch to Linux. Beryl is prettier (and less resource hungry) than Aero and Wine is just about as compatible with Windows programs as Vista is. (No offense to Wine.) Of course, you have to pay for Vista, so it must be a bagillion times better than Linux, right? ;)

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I don't currently like Vista for gaming, the nvidia driver just sucks, and there's no video mirror too. I hope they will have decent performance in the future. However I like Vista for non gaming stuff, the search is very fast and Superfecth works very good as well. Aero is good and is not so resource hungry, all you need is a pixel shader 2.0 card, even a FX5200 will do for that.

matthew

DRM and now this "backwars compatibility" crap, it seems like Vista is definately not the way to go.

I personally agree with you but it seems the average user is delighted with Windows VISTA and while us more technical people don't like it and see it as a step back from Windows XP. The XP will eventually be replaced by Vista wether we like it or not because the average Joe will go out and buy it because its prettier than the old one :p

Last edited:

Flash

Technomage
I personally agree with you but it seems the average user is delighted with Windows XP and while us more technical people don't like it and see it as a step back from Windows XP. The XP will eventually be replaced by Vista wether we like it or not because the average Joe will go out and buy it because its prettier than the old one :p

Indeed. Better "package" = better sales.

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
Well, games I've tested run, but with very bad performance. Games works, is just that performance is very bad due to very bad drivers, and that's not MS fault IMO

SuperSonic2K

Lord of the Flies
i'm not even gonna bother with making the switch to Vista; i actually installed a copy a couple weeks ago, but wasn't too impressed by the new features and subpar performance in the games i play........ and i agree with whoever mentioned the crappy nvidia drivers
once XP support halts i'm heading to a pure Linux installation....... sure the new AERO interface is pretty and all (which seems to please the average joe) but it doesn't seem to do it at all for me (having already seen this stuff in OS X)

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I used vista for a while, I got sick of the constant little annoyances of things not working - doesn't take too much, emulators having static sound, some games running like crap (Opengl ones), Vista isn't ready in my honest opinion.

I'll wait a year and a half before I re-try vista, by then maybe it will be more mature with less issues.