What's new

Video Card and Daedalus 4.5

KrazyKripple

So I've been reading all these posts praising Daedalus 4.5...From what I've read, a lot of the games I have wanted to play but couldn't now have been fixed.
So I tried 4.5 out...Every game I tried wouldn't work-either everything is white or there are no graphics at all. I had been using PJ64 before, but I switched to 1964, in hopes that it would work better...It doesn't.

I've been searching through the forum for help...And the only solution I can come to is that my video card is bad. Everyone here talks about GeForce and NVIDIA, and others like that. I have an SiS, it seems like I'm the only one with one too...Are SiS cards not supported?

My system surpasses the requirements-I have a P4 2.4 Ghz with 512 MB ram, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

I know I sound like a n00b, but I haven't found anything that helps. If there's some special configuration I have to do that any of you know about...I'd really appreciate any help you have for me...Even if it is mockery for having my questions answered in an earlier post...

Thanks!

KrazyKripple

jack

Hi

First of all, 4.5 is an old version so upgrade to 4.6. Second, did you select triple buffer flip? If so, turn it off because that mode doesn't work yet. Last, you might want to use the default settings and see how that goes.

ingonab

KrazyKripple said:
So I've been reading all these posts praising Daedalus 4.5...From what I've read, a lot of the games I have wanted to play but couldn't now have been fixed.
So I tried 4.5 out...Every game I tried wouldn't work-either everything is white or there are no graphics at all.

I'm presuming you're talking about Rice's Daedalus Plugin 4.5.0. If you're using DirectX 8.1 Render mode, depending on the video card you have, you might need to select "For Higher End Video Card" as the Combiner Type. (Otherwise, everything could be rendered white like you described.) Alternatively, you could use OpenGL 1.1/1.2/1.3/1.4 as the Render mode.

As jack mentioned, 4.5.0 is an "older" version to Rice's more recent version 4.6.0. You might want to download and try version 4.6.0 as well. However, that version is not necessarily better than 4.5.0. (Your milage may vary.)

LD.

*poke*
You have a 2.4GHz CPU and 512Mb RAM, so that's fine. The only problem is that SiS cards are HORRIBLE. Slow, crap drivers, buggy, texture/graphic errors all over the place. Ugh. Getting rid of my SiS 6326 was the best move I ever made, even if the Savage4 I replaced it with wasn't that much better ;)

Exactly what card do you have? Do you have the latest drivers? Have you tried using OpenGL mode instead of DirectX?

OP
K

KrazyKripple

I know SiS is awful...But I didn't want to spend a fortune on my computer, so I opted for it. I tried Rice's 4.6, but when I tried to run a game with it, my PC automatically restarted and I got a message that said something like "the system has recovered from a serious error"...I can't remember exactly what it said. And that crash happened when I had a big download going...So I'm a little apprehensive about trying 4.6 again.

I have pretty much no knowledge about video cards, and it seems like SiS's website is made for the computer savvy, they are no help for me. According to my dxdiag, I have an SiS 650_651_740 and my driver is SiSGRV.dll Version 6.13.10.2091.

I'll try some of the solutions you guys posted, and let you know what happens. Thanks again for all your help!

KrazyKripple

EDIT: Using the DX 8.1 Renderer and Higher End Video Card Combiner type (even though it's not higher end) and double buffer copy, Pilotwings doesn't have its black box. However, whenever anything moves across the screen, it leaves a trail behind it...I don't know if any of the other options would make that go away. With normal combiner checked, Pilotwings has a whole lot of black and white polygons...But WWF WrestleMania looks good, and WWF No Mercy is missing the wrestlers' thumbnails at the selection screen, and the wrestlers have some funky shadows, but the game does work. All Star Baseball 2001 gives me an error message "The instruction at "0x77f56f74" referenced memory at "0xfefffff8". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program"

I don't know if any of this will help you guys help me or not...

Last edited: