What's new

Uxtheme.dll for XP Sp1

iq_132

Banned
I want to replace my Uxtheme with a hacked one so I can use visual styles.
Can anyone help me... I've tried just about everything. The only thing else i can do is take out my hard drive and attach it to another machine, and I don't really want to do that.

1. I have booted into safe mode.
2. I have booted into command prompt mode.
3. I have Used a program called installfile which is supposed to replace locked files on re-start.
4. Linux and any other OS such as that are out of the question.
*5. I hate programs loading with windows... so stylexp and windowblinds are out of the question.*

I am willing to try just about anything.
I will even do voodoo if It is guarenteed to work!!!

Last edited:

zorbid

If you have a ntfs partition, you can create a second partition, install WinXP on it, boot it, and change the file in your original Windows directory, then delete the new installation... If I were you, I would plug the hard disk in another computer.

BTW, since you specify that you have SP1, I assume that it is not possible to make it as you could before (I don't have installed SP1 yet, so I don't know...) If not, it is fairly easy to replace the file : search for every uxtheme.dll in the system32 directory and it's subdirectories, move them out of the windows dir, then copy the hacked one...

OP
iq_132

iq_132

Banned
It is a locked file. It won't let me move it, rename it, change it's attributes, or anything of the sort. I do have Ntfs, but i was hoping that there was a simpler way. I have a friend with a win2000 machine that'll probably let me plop in my hd and replace it from 2000, but I really don't want to have to resort to that. As i've said, I know that there's got to be a simpler way.

zorbid

I don't know if we are talking of the same thing, but it's kinda 'locked' without the sp1 too. Windows has a backup copy of it somewhere in a subdirectory of system32. if you change anything to the file in system32, windows immediately replace taht file with the one backed up. If you remove the backup file, there is no problem.

OP
iq_132

iq_132

Banned
It would have been in the system32\dllcache directory, but I replaced it quite a while ago with one that was patched by vorte[x]. Anyway, a locked file is one that is in use.. it won't let you delete it or change it. I also didn't choose to save my pre-sp1 files that I could uninstall it, I didn't see the need for it at the time.

OP
iq_132

iq_132

Banned
Yup. Sure did. I even tried it in one of the management console windows (I don't remember exactly where it was...) but it still is un-replaceable.

OP
iq_132

iq_132

Banned
oh... I never did that, I'll try it though
OH, and another question... Does anyone know where there's a different "modified" version of uxtheme.dll for SP1 1106 (final) other than the Vorte[x] one I'm using? I think installfile might actually be replacing it, but it doesn't work.

OP
iq_132

iq_132

Banned
Uhhh.. yeah, like a long time ago. It says that only versions 2600, 3541, and 3590 are supported. That means.. 2600.1106 isn't. In other words.. it won't work.

ra5555

N64 Newbie
vortx version is working for me all I did was rename uxtheme.dll in the system32 folder to uxtheme.bak and also replace system32\dllcache uxtheme.dll to .bak then put the modified version in to the system 32 folder (YES IT WORKS) and reboot.

Good luck ;)

OP
iq_132

iq_132

Banned
RA5555
It still doesn't work. I tried the recovery console... i deleted the UXtheme.dll and replaced it with the one from Vortex.

OP
iq_132

iq_132

Banned
Thanks for all the help guys :) RA5555 your idea worked when replacing the file, but the dll I had wasn't working. I found another version at Slipstreamx.net.