What's new

Upgrading GFX drivers on Geforce FX 5600XT

StAmAtIs

I just downloaded the latest NVIDIA drivers and tried to install but it doesnt work and it looks like its going to install OK but at the end is says parameter incorrect and I havnt had any other problems upgrading drivers in the past. This is really annoying me. And yes I have tried older gfx drivers and I did disable my anti-virus and i did uninstall the previous drivers before installing.

I have screenshots if it will help.

Stezo2k

S-2K
My brother gets this recently on his Geforce 3 and his TNT2, i think Nvidia are cutting down driver support these days, try downgrading the drivers, seemed to work for my brother

OP
StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs

I already tried that and I even used the drivers on the CD that came with my GFX card but still the same problem. I think I'm gonna have to reformat and start from scratch again. Unless someone else can tell me another way of fixing the problem?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Uninstall the previous drivers, reboot in safe mode and install the new drivers from safe mode. It may work...

Clements

Did you try running setup.exe instead of installing via device manager, or does that fail as well?

OP
StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs

Clements said:
Did you try running setup.exe instead of installing via device manager, or does that fail as well?

Yeh I tried that as well and installed with no problem but when i restart the pc the found new hardware option still pops up down in the system tray. It's really frustrating because everything is running choppy and slow when it shouldn't.

Last edited:
OP
StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs

I've tried that but it says no driver files have been backed for this device.

_Chrono_

aka Chrono Archangel
StAmAtIs said:
I've tried that but it says no driver files have been backed for this device.

like PsyMan (<---with capital "M") said, uninstall your current drivers, boot in SafeMoe and then install new drivers

OP
StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs

I tried that but still the same result.
Is it because of Windows XP SP2 and shouldn't it say something lile Plug and Play device somewhere cuz I remember something like that last time I upgraded my drivers and that wasn't on Service Pack 2.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
It may sound stupid but... are you sure that the drivers you downloaded were for Windows XP 32bit? Maybe you should download them again.
If everything else fails try to unplug the video card from your motherboard and plug it in again...

OP
StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs

lol yeh they r XP/2000 drivers and I also used the drivers that were on the CD that came with the card but same result.

I also tried doing system restore which I know for sure would fix the problem but I had no restore points earlier than yesterday which was also frustrating because it usually automatically creates restore points every couple of days.

OP
StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs

I uninstalled the drivers and used driver cleaner to clean out any remaining files. Then I installed the drivers back on (not the latest ones) and it came up with that message during installation when it says if you want to continue anyway with the installation which I think is a very good sign because it had the name of my card. Then when I restart the pc it is still the same and the NVIDIA GFX settings in Display properties still isnt there.

I don't get it! This is starting to really piss me off now!
Maybe I should just reformat.

OP
StAmAtIs

StAmAtIs

Could that 'Video Controller (VGA Compatible)' be refferring to my on board video on the motherboard?

Because the way I uninstalled my Geforce FX 5600XT drivers the 1st time was by uninstalling the device as well which had 'Geforce FX 5600XT' where 'Video Controller (VGA Compatible)' is right now.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
You should have said that you have onboard video earlier... Disable the onboard video from the bios of your motherboard and after that make sure that your monitor is connected to your Geforce card. Hopefully, you will be able to install the drivers after that :)