What's new

transferring everything to a new computer

Mom

Hi there..
First off, as my username indicates, I'm a Mom just asking a question for my son. I'm the computer techie of the household however I know nothing about Project 64 and Roms and cheats etc. .. So therefore please forgive me if my question(s) are dumb.. and if you are going to laugh at me pls do it quietly. LOL

So anyway.. my son's been using Project 64 to play a bunch of roms he's gotten from ***. He's had them for a while and collected a bazillion cheats. He wants to buy a new computer. But he is not sure if/how he would be able to copy everything over to the new computer and not lose all his cheats that he has worked so hard for. I told him he probably just would have to reinstall Project 64 on the new computer and then copy over the roms via usb. but he's not sure, and I haven't got a clue.
Also, to possibly throw a wrench in it, the current computer is Windows XP and the new one will likely be Windows 7.. .not sure if that is an issue.
Pls advise as to 1. If I'm asking on the right site/forum and if so then 2. How we do it. ..
If I'm not asking in the right place then pls direct me where to ask.

Thanks in advance!
Mom (aka Tracy)

Last edited by a moderator:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
hey ma, im not sure about win 7 but as far as the cheats just copy the (cheats) file @ \Project64 1.6\Project64.cht
copy this to a usb key

or just copy the hole dang pj64 folder to usb

in short pj64 will work reinstalled or copyed
:D
ps please let us know how pj64 works on win 7

Last edited:
OP
M

Mom

Hey,
Awesome,thanks so much.. He's been saving up a while, and with recent birthday money finally now has enough $, but he wouldn't even start shopping for one yet because of this one issue. ..So now he can relax.

In the meantime, if anyone else knows if P64 works on Win7 pls post.

If not then when we finally do the tsfr to Win7 I'll post back and let you all know.

Thanks again!
Tracy=)

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
is this new pc a laptop or a desk top?
if its a desktop, is he building it himself or just buying a pc package?
if he's just buying one tell him to look for something that he can upgrade later on in life.

ps
and welcome to emu talk

OP
M

Mom

Hey (sorry didn't check back till now) .. this will be a laptop, just a packaged one. An inexpensive starter computer, like from Future Shop or Best Buy.. probably going to take advantage of the Boxing Day specials. I'll be doing the shopping for him; he's 11.. he just wants it to work with all his games and Roms and not lose his cheats.. he's currently using my old hand-me-down laptop and it's on it's last legs. So he's saved up enough money now.

Only concern at this point is if P64 works on Windows7.

talker

Well, I've been running Project 64 on both Win 7 64bit and 32bit, so I will confirm that it will work just as under winXP.

Just don't buy one of those netbooks-laptops. They're not good at all running of games.

Toasty

Sony battery
Just don't buy one of those netbooks-laptops. They're not good at all running of games.
On the other hand, they are generally adequate for N64 emulation. (Not trying to plug netbooks or anything - just saying.)

OP
M

Mom

Thanks very much All,
I have reassured him that it will be painless.

Oh and btw we all have laptops in this house.. surprised anyone still has desktops.. like, um, why?
His games have always worked fine on the laptop :) However he doesn't do serious gaming on the computer. He's got the other systems to play most of his games on. We even still have the original old 2D NES, and N64 hooked up, along with GameCube, and the Wii.
But he likes the P64 for being able to tweak it. He's earned so many cheats etc he was willing to continue using an elderly almost-broken-down computer instead of buying a new one!

Anyway, we'll go computer shopping. .. If we end up having any problems with the xfer I'll post back, but I don't anticipate any.
Thanks again for your input!
Tracy

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Desktops are more powerful than laptops.
Plus the ability to actually build them yourself to exact specification is also a factor.
And lastly, lots of laptops have overheating problems. With proper building of a desktop, that won't happen.

Those are 3 things I can think of as to why anyone would want a desktop. The second option is the biggest and most important reason.