What's new

Too Fast !!

tux.coder

Hi,

I've playing N64 games with Project64 for a long time.Now I'm trying to move on Linux and I found Mupen64 for Nintendo64 emulating.It was very good but i've got a problem, it's too fast!! When I start to play a rom, for example Super Mario 64, it runs very very fast.How can i lock the framerate? I think 60 FPS is enough, is there any video setting for that purpose ?

Thanks.

ciruZ

Use jttl's plugin instead, it should work then.
Btw, using the forum search should have helped ;).

OP
T

tux.coder

Argh !!!! It didn't worked ! It worked extremely fast ! I've tried all of plugins ! What can I do ??

nighmi

I've got a similar problem for a few weeks. Might it be, that "newer" 2.6 kernels aren't good, to run mupen on them?

dummy1

I'm on 2.6.10 and it's running fine with standard settings and plugins: glN64, JttL's audio, blight's input, Hacktaraux/Azimer rsp. I checked a few games and all was ok (didn't have Super Mario 64 though).

OP
T

tux.coder

I've near all mario games and all of them are quite fast.Yea, i'm on 2.6.8, but i don't want to downgrade, Kernel 2.6 is better than 2.4, so is there any other idea ?

ciruZ

Well, no, the ALSA plugin is really bad. It always mutes on of the two channels and all such annoying things. JttLs plugin is much better ;).

Segfault

No, you have just to use the alsa driver (snd-*) and the OSS emulation (module snd-pcm-oss). Next, you can use the plugin of your choice :) (I use the mupen64 audio plugin)

Tillmann

Whatever
ciruZ Well, no, the ALSA plugin is really bad. It always mutes on of the two channels and all such annoying things. JttLs plugin is much better .
Isn't bad! :p
Well The Gap plugin works great for me (ex: my choice for oot) , and the JttLs makes some overall speedup (the emulator behave like it does not have frame limiter tooooooo fast).

ciruZ

Hm, strange. JttL's plugin syncronizes it best form all the plugins I have. Nearly always 100% while ALSA only had always around 100%. Also that "mute one channel"-bug in ALSA was too annoying for me ;).

OP
T

tux.coder

I was using OSS but i've switched it to Threaded Sound System, it's better because i couldn't play native games because sound was coming slower, after events in games.I'll try to use it now but i think this problem is not releated with sound/sound systems.

OP
T

tux.coder

I tried it aaaand it didn't work !!!! I'm starting to get angry !!! Why i can't play n64 games on Linux ?? Is there anything to do ? HEEELP :linux:

juwb

I dunno. Zelda64 works well enough for me. And I'm just using standard settings - experimental 2.6 kernel, stage1 Gentoo box with aggressive optimizations for my Athlon-XP CPU, NVIDIA closed source drivers, so nothing out of the ordinary really.

As for plugins, I use GLN64/Glide64/TR64 for video, JttL SDL plugin for audio (some plugins don't play sound correctly / at all, and yes, then it is too fast for me, too), and a hacked version of blight's Input plugin. As for Drivers / hardware, sound is provided by kernel ALSA drivers, and video / OpenGL is NVIDIA drivers.

I'm sorry it doesn't work for you (really really sorry :evil: ), but you hardly provide any information that would indicate what the problem on your machine is. Besides, you're the one who calls himself coder, so why don't you go and debug for yourself :p

OP
T

tux.coder

First, i'm using Debian.Second, i'm using latest NV drivers.My system is:

Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
256 Mb RAM
GeForce3 TI 500 (64 Mb)
Realtek Onboard sound chip
Debian 3.1 Sarge (testing)

Also i use threaded sound system because it's the only one way to hear sounds correctly for me.I use Glide64 and Jttl SDL audio plugin.I can't remember the input, anyways, is tr64 better than glide64 ? Can it help me ?