What's new

This can´t be good for the PS3

vincent12

I dont think that this is bad for ps3 because if you buy a ps3 then you should buy it to play games not watch movies. When super nintendo or n64 came out people didnt buy them to watch movies.

OP
WhiteX

WhiteX

Where have you been, my friend?

Sony stated several times now that the big price tag on PS3 is because it is not only a videogame console but also a complete home entertainment device.

Allnatural

Sony stated several times now that the big price tag on PS3 is because it is not only a videogame console but also a complete home entertainment device.
Yeah. While I wish the focus was gaming, Sony obviously has broader goals.

vincent12 said:
When super nintendo or n64 came out people didnt buy them to watch movies.
But I'll be damned if I didn't try cramming my VHS tapes in the cartridge slot on a few occasions... :whistling

Enzo Dragon

STFU, NAVI
I will conduct a research with my relatives over the week and weekend to see the need for that, where do i find comparative pictures of both DVD and HD ?
I don't know if you could, simply because of the way high-def works. You need an HD display to see HD content correctly simply because the "scale" works differently.

Or something. Hell if I know. It just doesn't sound right to me.

Either way, high definition is a joke. There isn't even a market for it. It's a classic case of a market pushing a useless product on consumers

Last edited:

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6390657.stm

Sony PS3 will not include the chip that allows the American/Japanese to play most PS2 titles, instead they've decided to remove it all together in favor of software emulation. Mkay, thanks a lot Sony you have just sealed the deal, the 1% of me that actually might've wanted your crappy console has just disappeared, thanks a lot sony.

Rot in hell.

Trotterwatch

I hope this system bankrupts them (no hope of that but we can all dream). I'm used to Europe getting shoddy treatment, but Sony seem determined to push the boat out. The only thing I think will save them is if the software emulation is near completely accurate with enhancements (which I doubt it will be!)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Hehehe... we're all doomed!
Now something that will be the doom of Sony's console is that dev costs on the PS3 is about 2 to 3 times more expensive than the Xbox 360, which costs abouit $10 million.

One more tidbit to toss at you, I have been told by a bunch of people that dev costs are painful on the new consoles, the 360 and PS3 specifically. If a game for the older XBox1 or PS2 cost $5 million to make, the 360 is about double that or theoretically $10 million. The killer here is that the PS3 dev costs are between 2-3 times that of the 360 and about 5x that of the Xbox1 or PS2. Ouch.

http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=37771

Think you UK-citizens (or in other parts of Europe as well) are being treated as second-class citizens? Join the club!

Last edited: