What's new

The New DVD format

neoak

Triforce of Something...
I read that a new DVD format had been developed. There are 2 versions of this:

- The 40GB: Replaces the 4.7 GB disc. The special feature of this version is that you don't need to change the laser lens in order to read it (They are proposing it as the new DVD standard).

- The 50GB: Developed by Matsushita (Panasonic), this needs a NEW lens in order to be read.

I can't offer you links, because of the source of the news: My local newspaper. :eek:

Please, if anybody knows about this, showme where i can get more info.

Stezo2k

S-2K
well theres a better DVD format created, it uses molecules and can store around 1 million times more than a normal 650MB CD

i got the news from neowin.net

Stez

bodie

crhylove said:
hmmm... and i was JUST about to buy a dvd burner... speaking of which, which one should i buy?

rhy
don't buy yet crhylove ..hold off for a month or so because the new wave of drives are coming out supporting 4x burning and also NEC are releasing a dvd-r/rw-dvd+r/rw drive in november so you get the best of both formats and wont be left high and dry when one becomes the more dominant ..ya know it makes sense :)
regards bodie

Last edited:

bodie

yeah! and it will come in microwave speed ..you take the wrapper of the storage disk ,pop it in for a few seconds and then when you hear the "TING" it's done ..great for de-frosting those cold disks too :p
...........help me for gods sake ! ..i've lost the plot........
regards bodie

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Re: Re: Blu-ray

neoak said:
AlphaWolf said:
neoak: I believe you are refering to blue ray discs.

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/10.06/start.html?pg=15

Nope. The Blue Ray only holds 27GB. The New format holds 40GB!

Yes but its still based off of blu-ray (same technology), they probably use a tighter wound spiral or extra layering or both.

Stezo2k: Unless your name is bill gates, I wouldn't expect to see that in your own personal computer within the next 10 years.

crhylove

Banned
damn, that would REALLY make my divx archival alot easier... LOL, and yeah, i was already actively waiting... :D

rhy