What's new

The games of september

Martin

Administrator
Was inspired by Allnatural's previous games threads and since I picked up some new games for the 360 the first time since I bought it ages ago, here they are:

Dead Rising
Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fifa 06 - Road to World Cup (£17.99 :D)
Halo 2 (£9.99 :D)

Oblivion is probably the best console game I've ever played, highly recommended if you've got a 360. :party: And Halo 2 works wonderfully on the 360. Still got pretty jagged lines though, can't wait for Halo 3. :)

Allnatural

Cool, I'm a trendsetter.

No telling what the remaining days of September will bring, so I'll post a pic later. (also, the camera battery needs a charge...)

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You can use mods in the PC version which makes the game just so much better.I don't agree on the controls either, because it's very easy to use them on PC and if not, very easy to adapt anyway. And a mouse is better than a control to control your character so meh, port it to Wii :p

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
I'll worry about mods when I'm done with the regular version :p

revl8er

That Damn Good
I got oblivion and can play it at full settings and it looks great. I bought Final Fantasy Anthology as well.

OP
Martin

Martin

Administrator
Got NHL 07 today for some multiplayer fun with friends, gotta try it later. :)

Cyberman

Hitman, Dirge of Cerberus, Xenosaga 3, Shadow Hearts Covenant, Star Ocean tell the end of time.
DOC is OK bit Square needs to relearn how to make games. It's just a shooter with a FF7 Advent Children theme (sigh). The voice acting is mediocre and the story line is about the same. It's basically a 'lets bleed money from FF7' type game.

As a seperate game, well it's OK seen worse.
Missing features
being able to jump OFF buildings as optional game play. There are area's where jumping off would be BENIFICIAL to game play. It would be a lot more fun too, especially since the NPC's can do it.
Being able to jump UP an entire story. What is the point of double jumping if you can't get into weird places etc?
Better sensing of direction, it sucks in the sniper bit, you can't get a clue where they are firing from tell you are almost dead.
They show Mr Valentine doing cool moves in animations but it's not possible to do those yourself. What gives with that? How LAME are these programmers and designers? (Very can you say?)
More RP would be appreciated. It's far to linear of a plot for me.
More interaction with objects etc. The sets are boring, there are no random encounters, except 1 spot at the begining of the game. I like random encounters. Please Squenix don't be such control freaks thank you.
Why can't you play with the sets? All the Loveless posters are .. nice except low resolution. You can't read anything that's posted around. Speak of silly fluff. Come on this game was just cranked out as fast as they could beat there programmers to do so wasn't it? It seems rather unpolished. Apparently the North American release is different than the Japanese in many aspects some good and some bad.
Voice acting, Vince sounds unconvinced about everything he does.
Too much a character change for there new plot I believe. What has this plot to do with Lucrecia? I haven't found ANY clues or hints how it does. Yet the begining of the game is ALL about it.
The Plot is well, silly, it doesn't really do a good job of the relevance of it to FF7. It explains VERY little of Vincent (the most enigmatic of FF7 characters).
Materia is kind of like bulletless combat, they barely make it useful and more importantly you BUY stuff to develope the materia. What's with that? It's a big deviation from FF7's materia system which is quite good. It's lame suddenly to waste time using it. Why did they bother with such a thing if they weren't going to give it some usefulness like FF7. Even in a shooter it would be fun to be able to use similar Materia affects (healing protection doge stealing etc.).
Shops are everywhere, you are VERY limited in how much you can carry 2 phoenix downs 2 High potions 4 potions. It's way too controled.
Saving is automagic as well. And rather anoying. You can't start a new game NOPE you have to start from the begining and write over your old game instead.
Odd things, every place an NPC was spawned from a weird little marker is left in the game (three sided thingy). Why? Is this so I can memorize positions and redo them or something?

All of these are control issues.
IE is the player controling his character or is the game company assaulting you and trying to manipulate and control everything. The latter appears to be the case with DOC.

Anyhow DOC is OK and that's about it.

All right now the other games, Xenosaga 3... OK (better than DOC) it is a bit weird as this whole series has been (and a tad cheesy at times) with the cutscenes from Hell issues. (It's as bad as Xenogears where you waited 20 minutes watching an FMV where they TOLD you what happened instead of you playing it).
Star Ocean - GREAT
Shadow Hearts - GREAT
Hitman - Death and mayhem ARE your fingertips.. fun :D

Cyb

PS
Anyone get 99 nights? I liked it's feel but since it's a 360 game I guess that's about all I can say on it forever.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I keep hearing that Ninety Nine Nights is extremely mediocre. I don't know how much truth that statement holds though.

Last edited:

Cyberman

I guess it was all hype and no play huh?
Apparently it has 'top of the line rendering' IE it's great eye candy however I couldn't really find a lot on plot. Hmmm
NWN I guess for a while longer :D

Cyb