What's new

The dumbest thing I ever did...

Cyberman

This is funny if not kind of twisted if you think about it:

"A later job started on a Friday morning when I was between jobs and bored. A gum-chewing temp agency secretary saw me walk in, said, "You, buddy, you know Lotus 1-2-3?" I said I did so I started right away Monday at the legal department of a major entertainment company. (True. I could not make this up. All the visitors to the office were either lawyers in suits or people with funny hair -- the clients.) My job was to type financial records from paper printouts into the computer. I did ask why, if there were computer printouts, they couldn't just copy the files from the computer that had printed them. I was told that the tapes were lost. All paid the same for me. Here I noticed that some of the columns of numbers were dependent on others. Since I had been hired for knowledge of Lotus 1-2-3, I modified some of the columns to contain formulas so I wouldn't have to type the numbers. When the boss found out, he told me I'd have to do it over manually, without formulas! Why? Because the data was going to be evidence in a court case, and if there were formulas, the other side would claim that the data was not unmodified. So I retyped that data, but at the end of two weeks, decided I'd had enough. The boss was shocked -- I was leaving already? I pointed out that I was from a temp agency, so short-term assignments were not surprising, but just out of curiosity, asked how long he had expected me to stay. His answer: "Forever! You were doing a great job!" Again I'm not sure which is the dumb part -- left as an exercise for the reader."

Cyb