What's new

the best n64 emu, and video and sound plugins?

midiguy

hey. just wondering what you guys think the best n64 emulator is, and what the best video and sound plugin is... thanks!

scotty

The Great One
Project64 is the best so far
Honourable mention goes to 1964

Video Plugin Jabo's Direct 3D6 V1.5
Azimers Audio Plugin .4 beta 2

nephalim

Psychic Vampire
Best emulator: PJ64 (most compatible, most/best features)
Best graphics plugin: Jabo's 1.5 ("" "")

Honorable mention close behind goes to 1964 and Glide64.
Ultrahle 2064 has ENORMOUS potential, however. As do many other plugins as well.

1964 is "better" for fast PC's and Glide64 is "better" on low-end video cards (if eVoodoo ever gets updated....)

As for audio...it's pretty much Azimer's. Not much else.

OP
M

midiguy

yeah, I pretty much gathered that. ok, thanks people. but another question.
you say "Azimers Audio Plugin .4 beta 2" is pretty much the best for audio, but I have "Azmer's LLE Audio v0.50.1 Beta", isn't the latter better?

scotty

The Great One
midiguy said:
yeah, I pretty much gathered that. ok, thanks people. but another question.
you say "Azimers Audio Plugin .4 beta 2" is pretty much the best for audio, but I have "Azmer's LLE Audio v0.50.1 Beta", isn't the latter better?

The quality is better, but the reason I say that .4 beta 2 is better is because:

a.) you cannot configure the LLE (yet)
b.) the LLE audio doesnt work on 1964 which is actually the emulator that should have its use, the coding is similar to Jabo's direct sound in a way, hence it also has the same problems that is currect with 1964 with audio, works welll on PJ64 though

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
scotty said:

The quality is better, but the reason I say that .4 beta 2 is better is because:

a.) you cannot configure the LLE (yet)
b.) the LLE audio doesnt work on 1964 which is actually the emulator that should have its use, the coding is similar to Jabo's direct sound in a way, hence it also has the same problems that is currect with 1964 with audio, works welll on PJ64 though

With the RSP plugin from Project64, RSP.DLL, possibly the
LLE audio will work with 1964.

OP
M

midiguy

hey yeah. Glide is a no go for me, and I refuse t use those freakin' glide wrappers (it kills my p3 600 mhz, 128 mb sdram, matrox g400 32 mb, machine). But now I have another problem... =(

No matter what emulator I use (P64, 1964, UHLE 2064, etc.), sometimes the game will just freeze for a few seconds, the audio will make an EHHHH noise, and then gameplay will resume as normal.. also, when I am playing the game, the audio *sometimes* seems a little cracky, and sometimes breaks up a bit... I may not be a genius with these things, but I think the problem is audio related! It happens when I use the LLE audio plugin, Azmer's Audio Plugin .4 beta 2, and when I use Azmer's old .3 version as well... any suggestions?

Trotterwatch

mightyrocket said:
Only when you have a voodoo-card. With evoodoo, it's slower than a fly in treacle!

What have you been smoking? It works perfectly fast for me, faster than most other plugins using a GF3, Athlon900mhz and WinXP.

Please don't just randomly post stuff without at least trying to back it up, to say it is slower than a fly in treacle is an insult to McLeods fine wrapper (even if it has a few glitches with the newer version, just use the older version of Glide64).