What's new

Suggestions for zelda MM?

joyride

Until now i have used PJ64 SP1 to play Zelda MM, BUT:

I know jabos video plugin supports the lens of truth with "self rendered textures" turned off (otherwise it's far too slow), but then it's got other downsides: normal start-screen background is broken, photo cannot be taken. O yes, and PJ64 turns all black for a rather long time at every dawn. VERY annoying. It was said that there is a solution to this by playing the Ocarina to shift time forward or something like that, but i don't understand how that should work. The Tempel of Time tune only puts me back to day 1, so how does the workaround work? A yeah, and how do i activate TV-style scanlines with Jabos Plugin, or other neat graphic Filters? Are they possible with Jabos? Suppose not...

All in all Jabos is sh** when it comes to Zelda MM, i think. But with 1964 0.8.5 i was told to use Jabos 1.40 graphic Plugin (1964 told me in the ROM Browser). If i remember correctly, with this plugin, the lens of truth could be used correctly with the background of the start-screen also being displayed alright. BUT: 1964 didn't show me all of the game display (the bottom was not visible/cut). Hmm... and still no scanline option.

Then i tried another Plugin i downloaded, it was called "glN64", it supported scanlines and such stuff, BUT the lens of truth doesn't work at all with that graphics plugin, otherwise i think i would have sticked with it.

BTW with Jabos 1.5 graphic plugin the "emerging spikes" of the goron i control, before it actually gets spikes, is displayed in white, with glN64 it is displayed in pink/red. Also with some plugin (doen't know which) the fairy (doen't know which one of the two) was displayed in some other color combination.

Please give me some suggestions of emu/plugin combos for zelda MM!! Just some good advice, if that's possible!!

Very important for me:

Perfekt lens of truth functioning (don't want to miss something that's actually there :) )
best possible color emulation (i don't have the original Zelda MM, so can't compare)
fastest emulation with the least possible pauses and stuff.
TV-Scanlines (i think i like it), possibly other cool graphical filters

Optional, but would still be nice if true:

Subscreen displayed correctly
Photo working correctly

So i need some suggestions for emu/plugin combos!!

Thanks!!!!!

PS: pc is a athlon2000+/1gig/9700 machine

The best configuration for your video-card:

Download both Glide64 and Evoodoo 3.99 beta from the download-section, and put Glide64 in your plugin-dir and evoodoo in your main-dir. Now select it at plugin-configuration. You might want to set the resolution higher with those specs.

No more questions, just enjoy!

Clements

The Lens of Truth is slow as it is a framebuffer effect. PC graphics cards rarely have to deal with such intensive use of the framebuffer, so there is nothing you can do to speed these effects up. When you disable self-rendered textures, all framebuffer effects are broken.

The shrinking screen effect at the end of the days is unemulated in all plugins apart from Glide64 0.5 (you must use the eVoodoo glide wrapper to use this plugin, use the search to find out about this if you don't know how)

The Radeon 9700 may have bad compatibility issues with some of the other plugins. Jabo's has no filters, but you can enable AA and AF in the settings, which I suggest you have at maximum as there won't be much of a performance drop.

Also, ignore the dated 1964 browser- it's old (it's rewritten for 0.99), just use Jabo's D3D6 1.5.1 as it is much better for MM than the 1.4 plugin. Any emulator will do, but I'd go for PJ64 or 1964.

So you'd be best off with either Jabo's or Glide64 in my opinion for this game and your video card.

OP
J

joyride

Clements said:
The Lens of Truth is slow as it is a framebuffer effect. PC graphics cards rarely have to deal with such intensive use of the framebuffer, so there is nothing you can do to speed these effects up. When you disable self-rendered textures, all framebuffer effects are broken.

The shrinking screen effect at the end of the days is unemulated in all plugins apart from Glide64 0.5 (you must use the eVoodoo glide wrapper to use this plugin, use the search to find out about this if you don't know how)

The Radeon 9700 may have bad compatibility issues with some of the other plugins. Jabo's has no filters, but you can enable AA and AF in the settings, which I suggest you have at maximum as there won't be much of a performance drop.

Also, ignore the dated 1964 browser- it's old (it's rewritten for 0.99), just use Jabo's D3D6 1.5.1 as it is much better for MM than the 1.4 plugin. Any emulator will do, but I'd go for PJ64 or 1964.

So you'd be best off with either Jabo's or Glide64 in my opinion for this game and your video card.

i think i remember that the lens of truth and the start(pause)-screen both worked perfectly with jabo graphics 1.40, only with 1.5 version of the plugin the subscreen was broken because i had to disable self-rendered-textures due to speed...

what is the schrinking screen effect? is the non-emulation of that effect causing the long pause with that black screen?

what's so cool about glide64 anyway (just interested ;) )? is it better for all n64 roms or just better for zelda? glide64 by itsself (without evoodoo) is just for voodoo cards, so i guess it's rather outdated...how come it's still so good?

where may i read more about those bad 9700 compatibility issues you talk of? would nvidia or even 3dfx be better? is that because ATI has just recently become such a strong factor in the graphic chip industry?

big thanks sofare also @mightyropcket ;)

greetz

ps. btw why is the 1.5 plugin called D3D6 and the 1.40 one called D3D7? (<- minor not that important question :D ^^)

Last edited:

Clements

joyride said:
what is the schrinking screen effect? is the non-emulation of that effect causing the long pause with that black screen?

That's right, it's one of those special N64 effects which simply appear as a black screen with most plugins. The screen should shrink and get a black border around it as it shrinks.

joyride said:
what's so cool about glide64 anyway (just interested)? is it better for all n64 roms or just better for zelda? glide64 by itsself (without evoodoo) is just for voodoo, so i guess it's rather outdated...how come it's still so good?

A Voodoo card is sufficiently powerful to perform most N64 stuff and more. Glide64 is a stunning graphics plugin that is in my eyes one of the most advanced plugins available, and all the people that have worked on it since it was first released are talented people.

joyride said:
where may i read more about those bad 9700 compatibility issues you talk of? would nvidia or even 3dfx be better? is that because ATI has just recently become such a strong factor in the graphic chip industry?
Don't get me wrong, ATi cards are stunning for PC gaming, but the newer DX9 cards can cause problems with certain plugins that were developed mainly on nVidia cards rather than Radeons.

eg. http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=15345

Edit:
joyride said:
ps. btw why is the 1.5 plugin called D3D6 and the 1.40 one called D3D7? (<- minor not that important question ^^)

The older plugin uses DX7 instead of DX6 of the newer plugin. I believe that in the end DX7 wasn't need and DX6 was chosen for the final plugin.

Last edited:

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
joyride said:
Until now i have used PJ64 SP1 to play Zelda MM, BUT:

I know jabos video plugin supports the lens of truth with "self rendered textures" turned off (otherwise it's far too slow), but then it's got other downsides: normal start-screen background is broken, photo cannot be taken. O yes, and PJ64 turns all black for a rather long time at every dawn. VERY annoying. It was said that there is a solution to this by playing the Ocarina to shift time forward or something like that, but i don't understand how that should work. The Tempel of Time tune only puts me back to day 1, so how does the workaround work? A yeah, and how do i activate TV-style scanlines with Jabos Plugin, or other neat graphic Filters? Are they possible with Jabos? Suppose not...
Rice's plugin is the only one I know of now that has filters support...dunno about scanlines, however.
To skip forward in time, just play all the notes in the song of time twice. To slow down time, play the tune backwards.

Then i tried another Plugin i downloaded, it was called "glN64", it supported scanlines and such stuff, BUT the lens of truth doesn't work at all with that graphics plugin, otherwise i think i would have sticked with it.
This plugin doesn't support the lens of truth.

BTW with Jabos 1.5 graphic plugin the "emerging spikes" of the goron i control, before it actually gets spikes, is displayed in white, with glN64 it is displayed in pink/red. Also with some plugin (doen't know which) the fairy (doen't know which one of the two) was displayed in some other color combination.
The glide64+evoodoo combo should hopefully fix this.

Subscreen displayed correctly
Photo working correctly
Needs framebuffer functions enabled.