What's new

Stuck at 40-50 FPS?

Kungaroo

No, this is not a problem where I have a frame limiter on, I've already assured that that isn't the case, and I'm more than qualified to run PJ64.

So I've had this problem where I'd launch PJ64, play a ROM, but then realize it's running slower than it should be. Indeed, my frames would jump around from 40-50FPS, and I'm absolutely sure it isn't the case of the ROM I'm running, or my specs, this emulator came out 7 years ago, and people can run it on GeForce 2's.

My goal here is to get my frames locked at 60, so I can play these games without worrying about FPS.

Plugins: (note I've tried a wide variety of plugins, but nothing helps, and I've also tinkered with the graphic settings)

Video - Mudlord's Rice Build Video 6.1.3 - DX9
Audio - Azimer's Audio v0.21
Input - N-Rage's Direct-Input V2 1.83

Specs: (again, I'm 101% sure I'm qualified to run this)

AMD 64 Athlon X2
GeForce 7300 LE (suckish, but it should handle PJ64, it does with ePSXe)
2GB RAM

DjPong

Vsync under audio options turned on? ^^

And yes your computer is more then enough to emulate n64 games using pj64

OP
K

Kungaroo

Vsync under audio options turned on?

Yes - I tried disabling it as well, using a wide variety of roms, but all of them returned the same amount of framerate as well as gargled sound.

The only game I get sufficent FPS in is Super Mario 64.

DjPong

Yes - I tried disabling it as well, using a wide variety of roms, but all of them returned the same amount of framerate as well as gargled sound.

The only game I get sufficent FPS in is Super Mario 64.

Any particular reason why you use the 3 plugins you mentioned in your first post?

The Video plugin you use can be "eating" all your resources. I prefer using the default plugin (Jabo's D3D).

Same goes for the Audio plugin, I would recommend Jabo's Directsound for that one.

The N-rage plugin is ok, too bad my emulator crashes when I turn the rumble feature on.

With those 3 plugins I get like 300 FPS when I turn the framelimiter off ingame. And I also have a AMD 64 Athlon X2 with 2 GB ram ;) only the videocard is different. So your hardware shouldn't be the problem either.

Other potential solution:

I remember something about the CPU settings! Did you messed around with it? If yes, please restore to default (Check link for default settings)
http://www.filefrog.net/images/mKO96200.jpg

Last edited:

Clements

Rice's Video has slightly or sometimes considerably higher requirements than Jabo's D3D plugins with some games (especially if you use more advanced combiners or games with framebuffer effects), so I would second what DjPong says. Rice's Video does have speed advantages over Jabo's in certain other games, though (such as Mystical Ninja).

X-Fi6

On Project64 1.6, FPS doesn't stand for "frames" per second. It's "fields" per second, although in 1.7 they renamed it to "vertical interrupts" per second (VI/s).

N64 games run at 20 frames/sec for NTSC, and 15-18 frames/sec (I forgot how many exactly) for PAL.

Anyways, back on topic.

Make sure you use Jabo's Direct3d 1.6 plugin, and that sending to the RD-RAM (or whatever it's called—I don't have Project64 at this computer) is unchecked in its config settings.

OP
K

Kungaroo

Thanks everyone for the overwhelmingly helpful replies, enabling both of the plugins you all suggested bumped up my FPS to 70 when uncapped, and my games run a lot more smoother now.

I appreciate it guys. :)

Toasty

Sony battery
Yes, the actual FPS that an N64 game runs at depends on the game itself. IIRC, a few games even can run at the full 60 FPS. However, all NTSC games should run at 60 VI/s and all PAL games should run at 50 VI/s.