What's new

Speeding up 1964 on a low-end PC

gamedude32

Hi friends,

I'm trying to find some proper settings on this computer for n64 emulation but i don't have a clue at were to begain. My pc is very old indeed but i once got some games running over 30 fps with sound but it was cracky and choopy since my pc being a 500mhz in all.

I heard about software tweakers such as PowerStrip and RivaTuner but i can't config them correctly or my system just ignore the changes that i have made back to defaults. I think the main problem is that my processor is to slow cus one time i was over my brother house playing 1964 and it worked very smooth from sound to gfx, and many games ran over atleast a solid 60-61 fps. His computer is a 1.2ghz with geforce 2 and 128mb of sdd ram. I'v been trying all kinds of different setting in 1964 but nothing wasn't helping much for my sound issues but the video runs nice, i notice a bit slowdowns but thats pretty cool for it to run so fast. My fps advage around 30-40 with sound enable without sound i get a fps of 50-60, depends on the game cause i get 71fps for Mario64.

Do anybody have any suggestions mostlikly i'm looking for some 1964 plug-ins and good settings too them what suits my pc compatibility, if any of the following requires me to chagne plugins then which ones would you recommend?
or things like do you recommend a different emulator?

Here a list of things that i'm using for 1964 plugins:
Gfx plugin Glide64 0.5 + evoodoo 3.52
Sound plugin Azimer's Audio Plugin 0.30 Old
Input plugin N-Rage's DirectInput8 2 1.82

Alright guys thanks for your help in time, any answers will be very much apperciated and i wanna say thanks to rice & schibo and gent for creating a excellent emulator you rock!! everyone else for being part of a very cool n64 community, last to the owener of emutalk... Thankyou. :1964:

scotty

The Great One
I personally recommend that you wait until the new version of 1964 comes out. Because you are a noob; it has not been released yet, and there is no set date for release (and probably never will have one).

Until then; I recommend that you get a better video card, and use Azimers newer audio plugin (.55.1 alpha), and Jabo's D3D (unless it doesnt work on your computer)

Edit: I might add that you have to download Project 64 V1.5 (SP1) in order to get any of Jabo's plugins, also note that Jabos direct sound doesnt work on 1964

gandalf

Member ready to help
They are programs for overclicking video cards,tweaking the drivers.But,it´s dangerous if you overclock a lot the card.
RivaTurner is for NVidia Cards only

OP
G

gamedude32

Whoa so many many responds...

I very much appreciate this

Doomulation, he he thats a good statement when knowing I should have done a search on this forum with about speed compatities. I read the small documitation Rice presented and must say those pointers was very helpful i nearly gain over a 140% boost of performance especially with the ctrl+ vi speed counter. Well scotty that would be nice and worth the time to wait for but IMO 1964 is already awesome yeah probably some games are not working or the gfx arn't correct in some plugins but atleast it can emulate most of the games i throw at it even my favorites such as Castlevania 64, WWF No Mercy and Zelda OOT etc... He and no i'm no noob yes i made some misteakes but i want consider that as being a noob we all make misteakes. Thanks for the recommendations scotty i did what you said and now i have a better PC with Project64 install, to be honest i fairlly like 1964 better even though 1 main rule i learn is "Compatibility is better than when comparing to performance" cause you wouldn't want to play anything thats not stable nor complete. I think Rice and schibo have done both these well, thats why 1964 is very successful.

Yeah i tried UltraHLE 2064. It's a good emulator no doubt but it's game compatibilites list is not so good, seems it has a few bugs that need to be worked on as well. Zelda OOT worked nearly perfect for it and Goldeneye 007 i always hit that 50fps and over, 2064 core engine must have been basically built apond these games or something btw i didn't see a readme file at first until i searched the .chm help file. But that was a excellent emu chooice for speed wise and almost games. Hal i think gandalf said excatly what i was thinking.

Sorry i didn't respond yesterday but i was out buying a new PC, i gave my old one to donations. I also was upgrading it until I some good prices on dell products, well i'm outta words Thank you guys for helping have i nice day.

scotty

The Great One
I only used Uhle 2064 once, and I just deleted it becasue of its compatibilities. I knnow that waiting isnt a very good thing, but I recommended it because I dont like the compatibilities of other emulators other than PJ64 and 1964.

PS. now that you have a faster processor than me; I think you should be fine with most games. I would try Rices Daedalus Plugin for your graphics card, although I have found some discolorations; Rice designs it using his card which is the exact same as yours ( I think)