What's new

Speed Problem specifically with Dolphin 1.02

djnforce9

Hi, I have a simple question. Please read on, this isn't a nag or question whether Dolphin will have full FPS or anything.

I'm very new to gamecube emulators and the first one I tried was dolphin 1.02

I read here and on the homepage that Puzzle bobble is the only game to have playable framerates. However when I booted it up in Dolphin, I only got as much as 4. I figured that maybe it was my PC (perhaps 1.2GHz wasn't enough), but then I got some odd inclination to try a DIFFERENT emulator. So I ran Puzzle Bobble 3000 through Gcube and Behold! I get between 30-60 FPS. Hence, I concluded that something can't be right. If my PC was too slow, I wouldn't get good speeds on one emu and not another. However, I didn't end it at that. I figured maybe it's just something with Dolphin version 1.02 so I downloaded the 1.0 Final Release and booted up Puzzle Bobble 3000. Guess what? I get the expected 30 FPS.

By, now you can probably figure out my question. What happened between 1.00 and 1.02 to suddenly cause the framerate to drop from 30FPS to 4 or is it just that my PC isn't compatible anymore with the newest version. Either way, it makes little sense to me. Can someone explain?

Thanks.

Quvack

Have you got 'Dynarec' enabled in the Emulation menu? if not your just using the Interpreter which would explain why its so slow, it wasnt enabled by default in version 1.02 if i rememeber correctly.

nicknack

He's right you know. I just accidentally discovered the much acclaimed 'Dynarec' function, sadly it only improved the start menu and loading times FPS. There was also a marked improvement of +1FPS during gameplay. :p

By the game, I just got dolphin yesterday and got my Naruto 3 GCM to work just fine with no errors and stuff, except for the low FPS, WHICH yes I know, Dolphin is just a 'proof of concept' and only a beta and may never be playable at all. But I'm just wondering what FPS you guys have when you play 'commercial' games on Dolphin.

nicknack

Back to topic, please?
Question: I'm wondering what kind of FPS you all get when playing '.GCM' games on Dolphin. :whistling

OP
D

djnforce9

DOGG said:
check the screenshots thread. they have FPS in them

Actually, that would vary based on your PC. Someone in these forums claimed to be getting over 133FPS (3.2 Ghz PC though so no wonder).

And yess.. 'Dynarec' function solved the problem. I know get my 30FPS on dolphin once again for Puzzle Bobble 3000. However, it oddly ran faster still on Gcube (Looked a bit nicer too (i.e. Splash screen fades and transparent bubble shown to start level worked). oh! and I got from 40-60 FPS.

Then again, Dolphin's compatibility is MUCH MUCH better so it's STILL the better emulator. Looking forward to future release now that I know I can ACTUALLY get somewhat decent speeds.

JinXD

djnforce9 said:
Actually, that would vary based on your PC. Someone in these forums claimed to be getting over 133FPS (3.2 Ghz PC though so no wonder).

And yess.. 'Dynarec' function solved the problem. I know get my 30FPS on dolphin once again for Puzzle Bobble 3000. However, it oddly ran faster still on Gcube (Looked a bit nicer too (i.e. Splash screen fades and transparent bubble shown to start level worked). oh! and I got from 40-60 FPS.

Then again, Dolphin's compatibility is MUCH MUCH better so it's STILL the better emulator. Looking forward to future release now that I know I can ACTUALLY get somewhat decent speeds.
Gcube has less of the gamecube hardware emulated than Dolphin, hence Dolphin requires more CPU power to achieve the same fps/performance e.g. sound isn't emulated at all on gcube, where Dolphin has (on most games)

Federelli

Beta Tester
Well, once they get around making all sound go through the SPU, all gfx going around the GPU, that'll free some CPU power :D.

Melonman64

Pentium 3 1.0 Ghz
Windows XP Professional
512 MB RAM
All In Wonder Radeon 8500 Graphics Card
Creative SoundBlaster Live! Sound Card

I think that's it. It doesn't make sense thought because I remember getting half-decent on a PS2 emu.

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
Ps2 emulators are entirely different from Gamecube emulators. As well, your processor is obsolete, and I do not think you'll get very good speeds at all on a 1GHz Pentium 3.

DOGG

Melonman64 said:
true, so I guess it's time for an update

a HUGE update

I applaud you for posting FPS related questions in an existing thread. You didn't mention however which game you are getting crap FPS in. You should know that upgrading won't do very much for the FPS as the emulator needs alot of improving.

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
DOGG said:
I applaud you for posting FPS related questions in an existing thread. You didn't mention however which game you are getting crap FPS in. You should know that upgrading won't do very much for the FPS as the emulator needs alot of improving.

It was an intelligent thing to do, search the forums. But I think he was talking about Bust-a-Move, as this topic is pretty much dedicated to the speed of BAM3K. ;)

Melonman64

well, thanks for telling me i did something right

edit: after finding the place i could enable dynarec from, i reached 20 fps

Last edited: