What's new

Sound in LoZ:MM

scorch56

Wow... I can't believe I finally found an emu that could run this game without graphics glitches! I gave up on it a few months ago... but it looks beautiful now! My only problem is the sound. It's crackly and choppy.

I'm using PF64 v1.3; using the orig ini file that came with it.

The ROM I'm using... I don't know where I got it... but it's pretty old. It was simply called:

Majora's mask (PAL).v64

Actually... it had no " v64 " or any extension on the end of it when I unsipped it... so I had to give it one (The sip was called Legend_of_Zelda_2,_The_-_Majora's_Mask_(E)_[!].zip ; so it SHOULD be good).

Here's my specs:

PIII 850 mhz
384 megs SDRAM PC-100
32 meg ATI Radeon A-I-W
Diamond Monster MX-300 (using the last released Aureal Vortex 2 reference drivers - pretty old - DX 6 or 7 certified?)

The only setting I can even get sound under is when I use Zabo's DirectSound v 1.30; when I use zilmar's or disable RSP and use HLE audio... I get no sound at all. I THINK I may have noticed the sound seems to get a little better when there are less objects to render on the screen (i.e. right after the intro scene before the girl walks down the stairs; but the intro sounds really cr*ppy).

Any ideas guys?

I know... the Radeon sucks... let me tell you... if you're really into emulation of any kind... DON'T buy a Radeon. No matter what emulator for any system I use... tweaking the graphics is ALWAYS a PITA.

I guess there aren't many plug-ins made for ATI cards... <sigh>.

My thanks to all for your time and attention.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
1st thing is: Do you have a speed problem or a sound problem? Whats your typical FPS range?

OP
S

scorch56

Oh yeah... BTW... I DID get a newer INI off of Zophar's "3rd party?)... but I'm not exactly sure how to use it. Inside the zip is:

PJ64 Jabo DLL setup.REG
Project64.cht
Project64.rdb

Where exactly do these go?

I'm assuming the reg file needs to be merged. The CHT file is for cheats and the rdb file... I haven't a clue since I see none of these files in the original install to overwrite.

I'd just experiment with them; but this emulator is running so sweet right now (graphics wise) on my PC... if it ain't broke...

Thanks again.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
tip1: delete that file
tip2: dont visit ZD ever again :)

that should immediately fix 1/2 your PJ problems

OP
S

scorch56

No speed problem as far as I can tell (just sound)... but OUCH!!! Yeah... I just checked... I'm averaging anywhere between 35 to 50 FPS with it usually hovering around 40. My CPU usage is around 38 to 48% tops. I'm thinking it probably has a lot to do with mu cr*ppy old Aureal Vortex II soundcard. As you know Aureal died about a year ago and the drivers are WAYYY out of date. I've known for awhile that the next upgrade to my system should be a new soundcard... maybe one with it's own memory (DO they make such a thing?) or at least a beefier audio processing unit (chip) on it.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
no its not, your system is fine on paper, i think youve configured something wrong. Do you have any advanced graphics options enabled? (dont) have you changed any other settings/plugins?

Dark Anomaly

yeah your system should be running pretty much good as :) unless you using that crap V.E version of radeom all in wonder. lol
but you have heaps of ram and vortex chips arent so bad. My friend still uses his and runs fine in all emulators in win2k for him. have you tried using synch speed on or off?? well for starters you arent getting more than 50 VIs cos you using PAL version :) ahh make sure you arent forcing it to be at 60 Vis if its PAL either or youll get farkned speedy sound or whatever :p
dunno what else can be wrong thats causing no or stuffed sound for you ..hmmm

OP
S

scorch56

No... so far... I simply unzipped the PJ64 install file to an empty dir and ran it... except for screwing around with the different sound plug-ins/settings... but I set it back to the Jabo default one... since that is the only one I can get sound on. I haven't even srtup my gamepad yet. I DID check the sync audio box under "Audio plugin configuration" but that didn't seem to help. The audio seems synched OK... it just sounds like shite! Hmmm... you know what I did just notice? MY ROM is foreign I think (NOW that I think about it... of course it is... it's a PAL one); and when it gets to the "Push start" screen... that's in Spanish or something. I think I'll go a huntin' for a good (!) US rom.

Dark Anomaly

only other thing i can think of if you are runniong an ultra high res. etc.. have you tried using lower res. or tried using 16 bit textures instead of 32 bit if you are .??your system shoudl handle 32 bit textires anyway , but just a thought anyway

Dark Anomaly

lol yeah , well when i first palyed Zelda MM on this emu , i didnt relaise i had PAL version and was wondering why on my system i was gettin 49-50 VI all the time. I d/l the US version and i like it alot more , plus yeah its a littler faster/fluid , cos it runs at 60VIs
Its strange you getting low CPU usage and you cant reach the full frame rate. But yeah pity about the drivers for vortex /vortex 2 cards. but since its direct sound jabos uses it should sound fine really shouldnt it