What's new

sound card woes

killthegene

One Kool dude
I just bought a cheap sound card today from a computer fair (probbally fell of the back of a lorry). it came with a driver cd with drivers for windows 98/ME (im using ME) I inserted the card into my pci slot and put the skeakers in the back. when i used the setup utility on the cd it told me to restart to finish installation. i restarted but the drivers were not installed(despite a message saying windows was updating files). so i went to the add new hardware wizard. the wizard came up with an error(of the blue screen sort) at the end of the plug and play detection however it had not crashed so i scanned for new hardware but it didn't find any. so i pointed the wizard at the directory on the cdrom with the drivers in it but when it asked me which device i wanted the drivers for there were no entries on the list!

the sound card is a sound magic one(never heard of them either) using a crystall(offshoot of cirus logic) CS4620 chipset. there are no drivers for it on the cirus website. could somebody please help.

gokuss4

Meh...
that's why you NEVER buy cheap ass sound cards. although i bought an au8810 aureal vortex card for $5 at a computer show. but it was better than my sb awe 64. but anyways this seems like a very rare thing to happen. try not to run any programs at all instead of explorer and systray in your task monitor. (ctrl+alt+del). oh yes i didn't notice to now that you said you have WinME. that's probably the numero uno reason why it's not working well :p. go back to Win 98 or something. or get windows xp and a new sound card. I've seen the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 cards now for about $30 to $50.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
gokuss4 said:
that's why you NEVER buy cheap ass sound cards. although i bought an au8810 aureal vortex card for $5 at a computer show. but it was better than my sb awe 64. but anyways this seems like a very rare thing to happen. try not to run any programs at all instead of explorer and systray in your task monitor. (ctrl+alt+del). oh yes i didn't notice to now that you said you have WinME. that's probably the numero uno reason why it's not working well :p. go back to Win 98 or something. or get windows xp and a new sound card. I've seen the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 cards now for about $30 to $50.

Aureal cards aren't bad and never were. :cry:

Only thing bad is that Creative bought aureal before good XP/2K drivers could be developed. That being said, there are still tons of utils to give the full experience in XP/2K. :)

Josep

eyerun4phun
gokuss4 said:
well no duh aureal cards were good. but aureal went out of business didn't they?...

cuz, wait, they SUCK? haha, j/k, stick with soundblaster most of the time, doubt you'll be dissatisfied;)