What's new

Sony Stole Psx Components!

Locutus

That is right. A multi-national, multi-million dollar corporation stole some technology from the little guy and passed it off as there own... like this doesn't happen every day?

SONY the makers of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 have been banned from selling PlayStation 2 and other systems in the USA after reports have been come forward and reasonably substantiated that the force feed back system "Analog Dual Shock" component of the PlayStation controllers, which makes them rumble to the action on screen, was stolen technology. Sony has said they hope to have this cleared up by the Christmas rush this year. They will comply with the ban of PlayStation in the USA and are trying to quickly solve the issue. While sales have been temporary suspended in the USA, SONY of America has not stopped advertising as this wasn't part of the suspension in the attack. This may lead to the removal of the contended portion of the product from further sales.

Well I guess that means no PSP for me for awhile.

EDIT:
Three years ago, Northern California technology company Immersion Corporation brought a suit against Sony Computer Entertainment and Microsoft Corporation claiming patent infringement of its proprietary technology used in the controllers for the companies' home consoles: the PlayStation, PlayStation 2, and Xbox.

Luckly Microsoft knows how to pay people off....

Microsoft settled out of court with Immersion in 2003, avoiding messy legal proceedings for $26 million, which also got Microsoft a 10 percent stake in Immersion.

Last edited:

ChronusDark

yea i read about that last night on slashdot....i really wonder how this will go...its hard to imagine sony just packing up their playstations and going back to japan :S

OP
Locutus

Locutus

Yeah that wont happen. The last time Imersion brought this up Microsoft setteled this... now the own a good bit more of the company that is bringing it up. I think SONY will settle it soon... they are hoping to have it settled by the Christmas rush this year... but for now they can't sell the PSs Dual Shock or the games the uses it. It wont do much they'll pay an outlandish amount of money and be able to continue to sell it.

Hopefully anyway. LOL.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
That's worrying!!! I wonder if that company is going to go after every company for manufacturing controllers with force-feedback? I hope not!!!

That company perhaps has a patent claim for *ALL* force feedback systems!!!

Reznor007

Microsoft already licensed their technology from that company. Logitech, and several other 3rd parties did also. Nintendo's rumble tech is different enough to not fall under this patent(they have their own patent for it).

WhiteX

No, it is not, and a multi million company does not get that amount of money playing fair and square, they will settle it soon enough.

smegforbrain

Nah, they don't play fair and square... they're only one of the most successful Japanese companies ever, and they haven't had to play 'hard ball' like Microsoft is well known for.

WhiteX

Well, dude, i am only saying that EVERY big company has skeletons inside their closets.
And monetary success is the direct opposite of business fairplay.

smegforbrain

Monetary success is the direct opposite?

I'd disagree, and I'd say that the PSX alone proves that there are major exceptions to your rule. Especially since it came out before this silly patented technology in controllers came along. :)

WhiteX

No smegforbrain i am not saying that this particular case is a ripoff by sony i am only saying that corporationbs have a history of mistrust and lies.
well, see, the Playstation was supposed to be an Snes enhancement but Nintendo did no wanted to open Sony´s eyes, well...too late, they did it as a full console, was it a fair deal?
had nintendo given away market strategies?
Well, we will never know but it is the kind of thing i am talking about, Hell, IBM sold perforated card machines to the Nazi.
They are all evil, plundering the earth and ourselves, trust them not my friend.

noals

that make me remember something.
it was imb the first pc vendor right ? ( i dont know )
but do you know the first processor was made by a japanese or a chinese and ibm or a big compagny stole it ?
the guys who made "the pc" changed all the world and now, he is maybe dead or a poor guy...

just wonna say that
all money we give are only for fucker like bill who don't even know how use windows...

ciao

zorbid

The processor was an intel 8088, a stripped down version of the intel 8086. AFAIK, they were 16bit descendants of the 8bit intel z80.

smcd

zorbid said:
The processor was an intel 8088, a stripped down version of the intel 8086. AFAIK, they were 16bit descendants of the 8bit intel z80.

Intel never made z80. That'd be Zilog.