What's new

Solution to the speed problem (little)

pennsu

Hi! everyone. Have you ever wondered why your emulation of a game sometimes is slower than I turtle? Have you ever wondered what might causes that? I know you guy would say that cpu of the PC is not strong enough to handle this, so the conclusion is drawn. Think about what you guy have just think of. I found out that most of the people here who post there screenshots with entirely desktop covered are full of applications running besides Dolphin. Told you, that those guys I would say to them as dump that the only solution to gain a little speed(like .5 or 1) or any faster is to close all these cursed application running background, include the ones like most of the processes in Window Task Manager. Close them enough to only left the essential processes to run Dolphin. What stupid responses and questions are them! One said that no matter what the speed won't gain, and others said that speed should increases in getting more advanced spec., but totally ruining the threads cpu can handle while consuming the Dolphin GameCude Emulator playing games or whatever demos.
Think about that. I bet you guy who are computer maniac all know that any application run with many other applications at the same time the speed would be VERY SLOW. So it is the same as the Dolphin Emulator. I know that some of you might disagree with that, but please, follow the proposal first than reply.:sombrero:

n-phreak

Nintendo Phreak
if you shut down every (posible) aplication in windows the speed improves by 1 or 3 FPS not more.

Dirtie

It's still nothing playable. At the moment the whole point of this emulator is a proof of concept, or simply just a challenge of getting GC games to run on PC - so the FPS is rather irrelevent.

BlueFalcon7

I got HT, so it doesnt make any difference, i got 51% CPU usage, so it makes no difference. On the downside, eventhough I got 3GHz HT so I get 1.5 out of each core, so dolphin runs it slower on mine than most PCs

Clements

OS overhead causes almost nil difference unless you are very sloppy at maintaining a PC.

TerraPhantm

Unless the other open programs (say winamp or something) use a decent amount of CPU cycles. Although in my case, where I have dual core, thats not an issue.

OP
pennsu

pennsu

If it isn't the case, then, could you give us an example of how your emu speed varies?

rpgfan

whay it runs so slow is that GC emulation is too detailed and a computer canniot handle GC emulation. Just get a gamecube.

BlueFalcon7

pennsu said:
If it isn't the case, then, could you give us an example of how your emu speed varies?
0.3FPS difference at most, and like Clements said, thats if your sloppy at maintaining your computer.

ector

Emulator Developer
If closing background apps boosts speed at all, you've got some serious crap software running. Use task manager, add the page faults column, monitor that and the CPU column, see what eats your resources.

tnt2005

Emuman
There is no solution in running games faster on dolphin, please listen shutting down background application does not make big difference , these days unless you have a p3 or a weak processor or/and crappy ram such as celeron and valueram running simple background applications won't affect system performance, I've tested dolphin on a p4 extreme 256mb 7800gtx with 1 gig ballistix 3200 oc ram and the difference between my pc and my friends is 2 fps that's it , we can fantasize all we want but the simple fact is we have to be patient and for the time being give our feedback to the developers and beta team there will no mystical cure for slow speeds but realtime work on the emu.