What's new

So my mother had broadband installed the other day...

Allnatural

Spybot and AVG scans show:

580 spyware objects found
48 trojans found

damnit mom...

I did a quick clean-up, but I'm sure there's plenty of detritus left behind. Told her to start backing up her shit 'cause it's all getting wiped soon.

Miretank

Lurking
hhuu... something alike happened here in my house. :)
my dad used to enter in sites ( what kind of site he would be seeing?? hehehehe...) and never checked the firewall and never scanned for badwares. when i saw that my speed was awful slow, i started to chase virus things... and I found 32 trojans. I almost killed him at once.
and from there to here, i receive pop up screens so often and sometimes they carry trojans. I verify the system with norton but nothing shows up... is that normal? or do i need a specific programm to chase those bastards trojans? (and when the screen appears and drop some trojan, my pc gets VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY slow and I need to restart)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
MiretanK.O said:
and from there to here, i receive pop up screens so often and sometimes they carry trojans. I verify the system with norton but nothing shows up... is that normal? or do i need a specific programm to chase those bastards trojans? (and when the screen appears and drop some trojan, my pc gets VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY slow and I need to restart)
Use ad-aware or spybot search & destroy to clean out those bastards.

Stezo2k

S-2K
With people these days, its pretty easy to get spyware or a trojan as it is without protection, i dread to think how bad it is for ametures, as you've proven there heh.

Should of seen the crap my mate had on his pc, almsot as bad and he was doing an AVCE in computing

smcd

Create a NON-ADMINISTRATOR account for your mom to use. This should cut down on the amount of crap that gets dumped in the system. Windows should be slapped for making every account administrator-level by default. =-\

OP
Allnatural

Allnatural

sethmcdoogle said:
Create a NON-ADMINISTRATOR account for your mom to use.
That's the one thing I forgot to do last night, but it's coming. So far, Firefox + Foxmail + ZoneAlarm + AVG + Spybot + a stern scolding from me = everything's ok...for now. I'm sure she'll manage to muck things up again.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
sethmcdoogle said:
Create a NON-ADMINISTRATOR account for your mom to use. This should cut down on the amount of crap that gets dumped in the system. Windows should be slapped for making every account administrator-level by default. =-\
But the limited accounts has prepostrous limits. Many applications simply won't run because it's not an admin account. Not to mention it's impossible to plug in an usb device unless it's been plugged in first on an admin account.
People need be taught to avoid spyware.

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Throw MS Antispyware on for good measure. Frighteningly a decent freebie and can be scheduled as you see fit.
Funny when my mom had broadband installed i realised how utterly pointless it is for a lot of people still. Just makes ebay load faster. *sigh* poor wasted bandwidth...

flow``

flow``
you can always install those anti-"badwares" (tm miretank:p) programs.. but the odds of your parents/mom/whoever ever updating/using them is really slim to none

and if you have THAT much crap on your mom's pc blizz.. dont even try and get frustrated removing all that :p just format it.. even if you clear it all off, it's already done a lot of damage.

dmac2003

Hardcore Tails fan
This might sound kinda extreme, but delete IE lol, you can literally delete it from the program files in the C drive, and XP (this has only been done with XP) will still function as normal to my understanding (I know my friend has done this lol) You'd go through safe mode and delete the little ****. Or if you don't wanna do that, remove every shortcut there is to IE, and modify a shortcut that looks like an IE icon to actually run Firefox :p

Last edited: