What's new

small CDI's from a GBrom ,R things missing

cuda7171

Banned
some of the images i have tried have been pretty small.120MB from a gd rom. even the echelon ones are small.i would expect them to be bigger. i have read threads about dummy files,but they must have cut some meat off the beast. i mean crazy taxi 2 is 114MB zipped. that is crazy small. Can somebody tell me, in general ,whats missing?how are these rips made so small?

if this has been covered before,disreguard, i will find the thread

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
cuda7171 said:
some of the images i have tried have been pretty small.120MB from a gd rom. even the echelon ones are small.i would expect them to be bigger. i have read threads about dummy files,but they must have cut some meat off the beast. i mean crazy taxi 2 is 114MB zipped. that is crazy small. Can somebody tell me, in general ,whats missing?how are these rips made so small?
well... it's not so small as you can imagine...

firstly, the dreamcast has 16mb of memory + 8mb memory for textures + 2mb memory for audio... it's a total of 26 mb only, so games don't have to always take 1gb gdrom space...

secondly, for cd backup, there is generally a dummy file, and this file is generally full of 0 (or small numbers serie)... so when it's packed you gain a lot of space... that's essentially why it's so small... a good example is ikaruga... packed it take 17mb, but unpacked it's a 780mb file

PS : for dummy file, the purpose of this file is to preserve the drive motor of the dreamcast (AND NOT TO PUSH ANYTHING !!! there is no dummy file in an original gdrom...)