What's new

Roms Slowing down: Whats the reason?

Toxicoffender

COME on..
Hello Emulation friends, enemies, gurus, others with this problem, and so on, and so forth.

I have a couple games for chankast. They all work great. Most of the time.

Street Fighter 3 looks awesome, problem is, it gets to be really slow after I play it for, oh, say, five seconds. Some levels go faster than others.

Same thing with Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. I can play the game and the graphics are perfect. Thing is, when I call a guy on the screen on any level, the game slows down and the entire match is played at a slow speed. It can depend on the level too.

My general concern: I do know that depending on the amount of activity going on in a game it will affect the frame rate. My question is this: will getting a better graphics card help with the problem? Would more RAM cause these games to run at the correct speed? Is my processor the reason things are slow? Or are these slow-down problems experienced by any user with these games?

Or is a combonation of the first three? I dont know.

Im hoping someone does.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Generally speaking, speed slows down the more activity there is on the screen. Then again, you haven't posted info about your computers specs, so I can't say anything about those.

OP
T

Toxicoffender

COME on..
that WOULD MAKE a little difference..

My computer isnt that old.

Athlon 3000, 512 ram, 120gigs, not sure on the motherboard.

GForce FX Integrated GPU 3/3/2002 was the update...date?

I can play Unreal 2k4 with all the settings up, and doom 3,(not with all the settings up).

..if that makese a difference?

I can run CVS2 no problems. But slowdown in Marvel. Also in some N64 roms.

It might be the rom, but then again im coming to you people for help, youd know more than I would.

Once again, my question, in case it didnt make sense before.

Slow games: Ram, Processor, Graphics Card, Rom?

thanks for reading, alot. really.

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
Athlon 3000+: You forgot the '+' sign (I'm so mean sometimes). That means that the real frequency of your processor is about 2,4GHz unless you have overclocked it. You should also say what framerates you achieve. Maybe the slowdown you say is just going from 30fps to 25fps, then again it ight be going down to 10fps.

Upgrading your video card at this moment might not yield any results. Chankast is more processor-dependant than video-card-dependant. I have a 3.2GHz Celeron with 1GB of RAM and a ATi 9550 w/ 256MB, but I still can't play Shenmue (and other games) at full speed. It does reach higher than normal framerates when there is little activity on screen, but I've gone down to 12fps at some points.

You can try closing applications running in the background when you play Chankast (or any other game). If not needed, disconnect from the internet, so that you can also close down any antivirus and firewall programs, because they have a tendancy to use the processor for like 4% for me, and that has an impact of even up to 4-5fps in Chankast.

Finally, you said Integrated graphics card chip, you do not have an independant video card? That's... not good for playing games on PC. And that update... 3/3/2002? Upgrade your drivers.

OP
T

Toxicoffender

COME on..
yea, i know what you mean, there are times where it goes fast, and then slow again.

and the athlon 3000+ is at 2.4ghz. with what youre saying, if I decide to get a better processor, its possible that it may help with Chankast? I already do close all of my other programs before playing. my frame rate doesnt drop to where its impossible to play, its just too slow.

but the shenmue thing, i understand. thats the problem im having. boo for me. thanks for your input, by the way. good karma for you.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I've never got the slowdowns you speak of. While having a faster processor alwmost always helps emulators to run faster, your processor is adequate enough.

Then again, having an integrated graphics card and running emulators is rarely a good thing. Also, you should never compare the performance in PC games to emulated games. The two are not the same thing.