What's new

RiceVideoLinux fog bug

TD-Linux

Failed Homebrewer
I've found a rather annoying bug in RiceVideoLinux - when polygons cross the near-Z clipping plane, they change to a solid white or gray color. However, the alpha information remains intact... after experimenting a bit I realized what could do it - the fog was being miscalculated for very close polygons, and completely washing out the color. Sure enough, turning off the fog fixes the problem.

This can be easily seen in many parts (including the intro) of Zelda: OOT, as well as several other games I am sure.

I think the bug in the rotating-N is separate. Also, compare RVL to glN64 in the intro - you can see glN64 is drawing it much more correctly... I think...

Also, glN64 gives me 19.2 FPS (stable with hw-texture or whatever enabled, otherwise flies about but mostly averages on that). RVL gives me a solid 57.2 FPS, however it definitely doesn't look that - more like the 19.2 FPS of glN64.

The games are running realtime, no sound glitches or speed or anything, it's just the framerate :(
I'm wondering if this is part of the game?

Richard42

Emulator Developer
Thanks for the bug report; I've added it to the TODO list for that plugin. Regarding your speed variations, how did you measure the FPS rate with the different plugins? I have just started to do some game testing with different video plugins in Mupen64 on my HTPC, and I did notice that glN64 seems to slow down or stutter when new scenes appear on-screen, while RiceVideo is mostly smooth. It may be that glN64 has some inefficiencies in its texture handling or loading.