What's new

rice video + paper mario, extreme memory usage in some locations

dummy1

I don't know if this is a known problem, but in some places the video plugin starts eating memory and swapping is causing slowdown to a crawl. This happens when the three stars start spining on screen (eg in Marlon's house when he is reading Mario's future, or when upgrading characters). I don't know if this is related, but the stars seem to have incorrect texture too (or maybe just blending is wrong). I've checked it with 6.1.1beta10 (black sprites are fixed :p) and the latest official one. This doesn't happen when using Jabo's plugin.
I've searched the forum but haven't found anything usefull. Is there any way to fix this?

ferbe

dummy1 said:
I don't know if this is a known problem, but in some places the video plugin starts eating memory and swapping is causing slowdown to a crawl. This happens when the three stars start spining on screen (eg in Marlon's house when he is reading Mario's future, or when upgrading characters). I don't know if this is related, but the stars seem to have incorrect texture too (or maybe just blending is wrong). I've checked it with 6.1.1beta10 (black sprites are fixed :p) and the latest official one. This doesn't happen when using Jabo's plugin.
I've searched the forum but haven't found anything usefull. Is there any way to fix this?
Yes, use Jabo's plugin :p
Or try using a different renderer/combiner.

OP
D

dummy1

Tried that, but Rice rocks:) I get too much flickering with Jabo's plugin.
Unfortunately, switching between plugins is a must for now.

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
I know that this is a few days old, but have you tried the version of Jabo's Plugin that ships with Project 64 1.6? You know, the version released a few days ago?

OP
D

dummy1

Yes and it is working very well in many locations, but in some I get horrible flickering, so I use Rice most of the time. With Rice the flickering is very rare.
I found that it stopped overloading the memory after I enabled 'alternative texture size calculation', but this messed up some textures (eg their size was calculated incorrectly).