What's new

Review: (kind of) Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

A.I.

Banned
I have noticed of late that movie reviews have sadly been on the decline in ToTT recently, not to mention posts in general (posts made by BOTs not included) so I thought I add my five cents, in whatever currency you choose and review Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Actually it's not really a review, just my overall opinion of the movie.

For those who were weaned by Pokemon, Indiana Jones was an iconic, fictional character of the 80's, a famous archeologist explorer of mythical, lost cities and treasures created by good old George Lucas, you know the grey bearded guy who invented Starwars, the original trilogy and the following CG infested pre-sequels.

Anyway, with the release of the new movie and more importantly for gamers, the new Lego game: Indiana Jones: The Original Adventures, which I am personally salivating over its upcoming release, everyone can get reacquainted with Indy again or for the first time for Indy virgins.

Well, as I said, it's not really a review; just a basic opinion and I thought this movie was good but not great. Sure, it had all the usual plot devices of a typical Indy flick; lost mythical cities, sacred treasure, booby traps (sadly, no boobies...), dastardly evil villains, in this case female fatale', chase scenes on (half) of the edge of your seat stuff (very good but still no Temple of Doom), fist fights, whip cracking, quip cracking (a little bit forced and overdone for my liking), romance (Understated, thank God) and comical side kicks (though not a patch on past side kicks like Short Round or that fat guy who played a fat Dwarf in Lord of the Rings).

When I left the cinema I had very mixed feelings; nostalgia, sadness seeing Indy getting old and his old friends from past adventures long gone, Marcus Brody (Sniff, RIP.), his Dad (Sean Connery still kicking in retirement...) and wondering if they should have left old sleeping dogs lie so that movie goer's memories of Indy would not be tainted with half, unfilled expectations of a movie that, which even Stevo (Spielberg) agreed was over hyped.

But in end, it was worth seeing a 65 old Indy doing what he does best-kicking butt and keeping that good old fashioned, matinee adventure spirit alive and well. Sure, understandably Crystal Skull fell way short of Raiders and Last Crusade, and below par of Temple of Doom but Indy was back and that's all it matters.

Here's hoping there's more Indy adventures to come. It sure is more refreshing than watching another movie about terrorists.

My rating: (drum roll please...)
*3.5/5 Stars

*half a star is awarded to Cate Blanchette wearing a short black wig, grr...

Last edited:

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
I watched it last night. I was a little dissapointed too, but it has the action needed for an Indiana Jones movie

Last edited: