What's new

Rebinding Save state.

Pookiez

Hi, I'm just curious if anyone knows of any possible way to bind the save/load (F5/F7) states to a different key. More specifically to a Game Pad controller. In this case a "Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2". If anyone knows a way i would really appreciate it so that I pretty much never have to get out of my bed to hit the save/load state keys o_O. Thanks in advance.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
AFAIK, You need to use a keyboard --> joypad mapper for that, such as XPadder.

Agozer

XPadder is supposedly better because it allows mapping for analog controls as well, although it doesn't really matter in this case.

Last edited:
OP
P

Pookiez

Well, I didn't get to try this out last night since I was too tired/playing wii when i saw it; but I'll sure give it a try when i get home. I'll probably try Xpadder since it apparently would work better with an analog stick. All I have to say is thank god for rechargable batteries :p

Tre

Oops. Died again.
JoyToKey fully supports analog sticks, including multiple axis input. And works perfectly (I'm using a PS2 DS controller). I admit that I haven't bothered with Xpadder, so it ~could~ be better... but I've not had a single problem with JtK and don't see a point in trying something else at this point.

JtK lets you set up multiple profiles, and doesn't take up anything in terms of system resources... but I leave it up to you. I tend to use it for older emulators that refuse to let me use my analog stick or choose buttons myself (Stella X is one of them, the other is AGES because it refuses to accept my controller).

Either way, there are a couple of choices out there so you can re-bind your controls. For me, I wouldn't really suggest mapping your Save/Load state buttons to the controller... because you're likely to hit them by mistake. :p

OP
P

Pookiez

Sorry for bumping this after such a long time :p

Anyways, I can't figure out for the life of me how to bind anything to the D-pad and the Second (right) Joystick. I can bind anything to anything else though.

Edit: Using JoyToKey

Last edited:

Agozer

D-Pad is also called the POV switch/hat (need to have enabled "Use POV switches"). To use the right stick you need to enable "Use other axes than X and Y".

Still I'd recommend XPadder over Joy2Key any day.

Last edited:

Tre

Oops. Died again.
Pookiez: Agozer gave the right information for how to get your Right Stick and the Digital pad to work... but maybe you should give XPadder a try after all... looking it over, the GUI is a lot simplier than Joy2Key... and has practically the same exact functions.

Download here: http://xpadder.com/download.html

I haven't used it myself, mostly because I'm still quite happy with Jtk (I must be insane, I'm sure)... but this will solve the problem of trying to figure out if it's "y" axis or "z" axis that controls the right stick.

Agozer

The axes on the Right Stick are often referred to as Z-Axis -/+ (left/right) and Z-Rotation -/+ (up/down).

Tre

Oops. Died again.
I meant with JtK... it has a different set of axis for the Z-Axis/Rotation than normal.

And I read up a bit more on XPadder... I'm likely going to grab the August release because of the advances being made with it. It seems like it blows JtK out of the water.

OP
P

Pookiez

Thanks guys, again... I'm about to try Xpadder now. I'll probably come back if i have any problems, but I can't sense any problems with it.

P.S. being lazy and surfing the web with the onscreen keyboard from your bed FTW!!

Tre

Oops. Died again.
I gave XPadder a shot, since Agozer brought it up multiple times. It DOES work rather well, and having the option to put a picture of your gamepad on the configuration screen and move the keys around is a nice feature. The feature that really made me decide to go ahead and start playing with it now? Multiple key assignment with delays. Mostly for online surfing and entering usernames without the virtual keyboard. :p

I can't wait until side-tilt is added to the mousewheel... that'll make my laziness easier. I get sick of having to actually grab the bottom scrollbar and move it with the mouse. ^_^;;

I thought I was the only lazy bones surfing from my bed with a joypad. ^_^

Tre

Oops. Died again.
That is going to make me very happy! Especially because I won't need external items making changes for me.