What's new

R4?

A.I.

Banned
Any DS lite owners out there who have the R4?

I want to know if its any good and PM me of any other, er...details, if you catch my drift... ;)

Last edited:

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Hope it's Ok to talk about the product itself.

IMO, the hardware is junk. Broken spring clip after one week of what I wouldn't consider solid use. So the memory cards just keep popping out on their own. I had to open the device and put a small bend in this metal piece to hold the spring back. Now I have to pull my memory card out by hand, not easy on these super tiny microSD cards. And now in the past month when turning on the nit the R4 simply is not recognized and you have to pop it in and out.

Now the spring issue is a known problem that many users at the unofficial R4 forum have talked about. The latter part about not recognizing I don't know yet if it's a known problem or not.

From a software standpoint I think the device is very strong. I've yet to find ANYTHING it will not work with. All the homebrew you can handle and then some. ;) I do really like the menu system they came up with for it and it's super easy to upgrade. Now they have also incorporated auto DLDI in so you literally don't have to do anything to homebrew anymore. Just drag and drop using Explorer (or preferred file copy program) and away you go. It patches on it's own if needed.

I would say off hand that IF they make a new model without the spring issue I would possibly buy again based on what's available and pricing of course.

smcd

There is a revision 2 that does away with the spring entirely ;) As you mentioned, this might make it necessary to have fingernails or something to make removal a bit easier. (I have a revision 1 and I too had to modify the spring mechanism, it is still functioning now some 11 months later) Most homebrew does in fact work for it assuming the homebrew supports DLDI. Some older homebrew made for a specific cart might have issues. There is a wiki showing compatibility out there on google, forgot the address

OP
A.I.

A.I.

Banned
Thanks for the info LazerTag, smcd. I'll be definately getting rev 2 then.