What's new

Questions about Chankast and Soul Calibur for SMART people

poorman

Got a few question about Chankast:
1. How do I save Chankast settings? Can I have it to start up every time in 1024X768 resolution. Right now it loads up in 640X468 every time and with stats enalbed even though I changed it.

2. How do I save the BIOS settings? It loads the spanish BIOS by default so I have to change it every time to english.

3. "Configure Plugins" window needs explaining, like what does the different options mean there etc.

4. Where does Chankast save the controls settings? I deleted the Chankast folder, then set it up again and it loaded my old controls settings so I wonder where did it took them.

Soul Calibur:
5. Is there a option to turn off the announcer voice?

6. Game options are saved with the save game? If so then you can't use the ingame save option I suppose? Have I understood correctly that you need to use VmSBrowser to save the game? Can anyone explain the VmSBrowser and how to save/load the game and what are all the buttons do there, please.

I really would appreciate if someone could help me out here.

Last edited:

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
1) You can't.
2) Make sure that the BIOS files do not have "read-only" attributes.
3) It's usage is quite easy.
4) Usually in a file called "chankast.input" but it also depends on the input plugin.
5) No.
6) You must enable the memory cards from the "Configure Plugins" tab. Then run the emulator without any CD in the drive and format the memory card from there. After that you will be able to save. For more info about the VMS browser read the Chankast manual.

Last edited:

holymoz

1- the video settings can't save
2- right click on the bios files and uncheck "only read", start chankast and change the language, then recheck the previous tab
3- what explanation? there are 4 plugins, use the cd xxx and elsemi input, stop
4- I don't know, but why interest you so much where it saves? if the joypad works I don't see the problem
5- I don't know but the voice don't bother me
6- the vms browser make only import export saves, the saving are made by the game like a normal memory card (have you ever owned a playstation or dreamcast?), for soul calibur go in the game options and set autosave, the game saves every time you exit to the title screen, you don't do aniything.

OP
P

poorman

Thanks for the replys.

I don't know, but why interest you so much where it saves? if the joypad works I don't see the problem
It interests me because when I delete a program I want to remove it with all the files it created. I was using the Input Interface xxx and it didn't create the settings file into the Chankast folder as the ElSemi plugin does, but somewhere else on my hdd.

Does it make a diffrence if I choose both VMS under the Controller or set one to none? Can I use then 400 save slots instead 200?

One stupid question more. At the start of the Soul Calibur I have to choose evry time 50Hz or 60Hz, does it matter which one I choose?

knowitman

It doesn't really matter. This was an option for TV screens in Europe. Since the games ran at 50 FPS it was a little slower then in the US so they invented PAL60 which are pal games that run at the full 60 FPS. I guess you should go ahead and try the 60 htz to get the full speed.

OP
P

poorman

poorman said:
It interests me because when I delete a program I want to remove it with all the files it created. I was using the Input Interface xxx and it didn't create the settings file into the Chankast folder as the ElSemi plugin does, but somewhere else on my hdd.
Found out the save location:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\DirectX\DirectInput\User Maps\

BountyJedi

im usually running soulcalibur at 50 hz so i will get closer too fullspeed (it only runs at about 35-40 fps for me) and it isnt so graphics realtaed although it is cuz chaing of and on FSAA and resolution doesnt give much of a spedboost i think it is something with sse and polygons or something as the sse is helping the graphics card with calculations right?
and when i played as infoerno (has less polys atlest i think from wireframe) it goes up to 40-45 speed so it might be something =P

OP
P

poorman

I noticed that the fps depends from the characters you're playing. With 2 females on screen I get lower fps than with 2 males.(sry, don't know the names).

Does the ZWrite and AlphaTest ZWrite settings are for image quality? I mean you can't get better fps when setting one of them on?

Also, sometimes my menus turn like this: PIC
Character select screen and loading screen are always messed, any fix?

Last edited:

BountyJedi

hmm weird well I think the females has more polys just look at ivy's face in wireframe there's loads of them well the male's faces probably needs less smooth and you know in fighting games the females are always the strong ones (geek developers ?!?! =P ) maybe more care was put into them or something =P should go and play around as inferno cub 0 polys at most =p ha even lacks a face =p

Also for those pics switching back and forth from fullscreen to window and back again (not necessary but if you want to play in fullscreen so...) Seems like most 2d stuff gets corrupted after being ingame.
The loading screens is almost pointless as it will get that weird soon again but if you want to look in the art gallery or something you could do that trick also if you want to see the game endings.

also for the character select atleast the pics will get right if you choose quick character select or something.thinking it might help my extensive typo record =p (stupid slipping keyboard =p )

sorry for any weird words as in trying a spell correction program that corrects on the fly

Last edited: