What's new

Question about Widescreen & Hi-res textures - P64 v1.6

dc32

Hi all, new to the forums

Wow, P64 is amazing and has totally breathed new life into my old games. I just recently installed this a few days ago and am loving it!

I have run into a little dilemma. When I first installed it I was using
jabo's direct3D8 1.6 plugin and had the full screen resolution setting set to 1600 x 900 which is the native resolution of my monitor. Everything was stretched. I then found the nifty option in advanced settings to "adjust game aspect ratio to match yours"

After that it looked perfect and used up the whole screen without messing up the ration and stretching everything.
So here I was, all happy playing in true widescreen when I did some youtube surfing and found all these videos of games being played with hi-res textures
I was shocked! Probably old news to everyone here but for me it was like they totally remade the game with wii graphics.

So I did some research and ended up DLing the rice video plugin and downloaded the textures for Zelda OOC & Mario 64 and loaded up the rom with the new high-res textures. This was great, but I realized that there was no option as with the jabo plugin to not mess up the aspect ratio when playing in widescreen.
I did some more surfing and researching and ended up DLing the glide64 napalm wx release 1 plugin. I set the full screen resolution to 1600 x 900 and tinkered with all the options as far as "aspect ratio" but they all stretched the image

The best config I got so far is keeping the resolution set to 1600 x 900 with the 4:3 aspect ratio selected. This uses the whole screen but puts the black vertical bars on the sides to keep it at 4:3
I prefer this method the most so far because even though true widescreen was awesome, the beefed up hi-res textures are way more enticing to me. So that's how I've been playing

I'm wondering if theres a way to get the best of both worlds. The high res textures with the non-stretched widescreen. I have surfed & researched but haven't found a solution.
Is this possible? Is there a plugin or setting that will allow me to acheive pure orgasmic wide-screen hi-res textures?

Thanks for reading.

I don't know if any of this helps but I am running windows 7 64bit Geforce 9100

Thanks again,

DC

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Trouble is the n64 was never designed to display in proper 16:9 aspect ratio.

I believe Jabos was the first to do it, it uses a hack in order to achieve this effect, there is some games that will look really bad with it enabled but I do admit it looks awesome with Zelda MM.

There is a way for you to have jabo's support with texture packs, the 1.7 beta supports texture packs via the beta version of its graphics plugin. This as far as I know is the only possible way to do what you are asking.

Unfortunatly though you have to donate to gain access to that. http://www.pj64-emu.com/ -

I'm not 100% positive that the beta 1.7 version will do what you ask though, its not something i've tested but it is theoretically possible.

I'm Sorry that I couldn't help further.