What's new

Project Fail - the past, present and future exposed.

Mdkcheatz

Mr. Syrup
Dear supporters of all kinds and genders and Squal_leonhard,

There is much hatred towards Project64, not because of its code, but because of the nature of the community & support. The public version is indeed the most stable version currently, and is the best version to use for those just interested in some good ole fashioned N64 recreation. The beta and alpha released are private, where incoming members are limited these days to those who can afford to donate and have the setup possible to transfer these funds. Unfortunatetly that excludes most of the fan group. I can see how this annoys some people and I've just today suggested the idea of offering an alternate means of supporting directly to get said membership by filling out a paid survey for those who don't have donately directly as an option. But I see an even worse problem with everyone's attitude towards the whole semi-shareware process.

Firstly, Zilmar is the sole creator of the core of this project. The code, as far as we know of, is 100% his own work. Thus, he is not obligated to do anything with it. If you were to write a book, sure there'd be people who could finish it if you were busy doing other things or could even write it better, but that's not the point, because ultimately it's your book to do as you please and people shouldn't disrespect you or hate you for making a decision that doesn't seem benefitial to everyone. There is no obligation for Zilmar to release his code to the public, and for any reason he should have the option of disposing every past bit of it for any reason without everyone attacking him. Face it, he didn't have to make it in the first place and it's not like he hasn't been quite honest and open about his initial and current intentions, while at the same time been reasonably considerate to his support group.

The man isn't doing anyone wrong to any of you. He has a family to support and is entitled to any shareware-like benefit that may become of his own code, regardless of how it may appear to affect the scene as a whole. Just like you would be entitled to take your book (finished or unfinished) and do whatever you want with it. You could sell it, burn it, use it as toilet paper, to hit your siblings with or even let it sit as a paperweight doing nothing, without people giving you grief over your own right.

Another thing I want to clearify is the rumor that Project64 1.7 is dead. Everyone seems to think this is so, and everyone is criticizing Zilmar for his lack of production. I can clearify first hand that Project64 1.7 is not dead at all, as he does periodically work on it when he finds the time. And he is, as I said above, entitled to take all the time in the world. In the past, he has given up the source (version 1.4) and no one did anything all that good with it, so he was convinced to come back and start working on it again. There is no user manual explaining for the code works, so if you can't understand the source of 1.4, surely you won't even understand two lines of 1.6 or even worse 1.7. But rest assure, Zilmar currently has every intention on completing version 1.7 for public release. This, however, is not set in stone, but rest assure I know he will notify everyone publically if this were to change. And this doesn't mean Zilmar has definitely said anything about wether he will even continue beyond 1.7. But he has in the past admitted that so much progress has been done between 1.6 and the newest alpha release, that the next release will more likely be labeled as Project64 version 2.0 and probably be his last work into the source.

Personally, I've seen how the donation system has hindered the community significantly. If not directly, then indirectly. But regardless of what may come of it, no one can fault him for his decision. And even if it did flop completely, that's not to say that something good will come of it. The whole scene thrives on competition! And if worse case senario all the big emulators became shareware, that gives smaller projects the opportunity to thrive and catch up. Thus, the more reasonable competiton, the more likely it is that developers will put more time into completing the project, while reverting back freeware and open communities to gain that communal support.

Also, when a project fails, it doesn't mean it was a waste of everyone's time. Just like disproving a hypothesis is almost as good as gain data to support it. As the lesson in itself will enable people to know what not to do in the future and to see first hand what will succeed.

That said, you should respect those who do things for the better, like a developer who dedicates much time and gets nothing out of it, but you can't fault any who chose to reap some rewards, regardless of what it does to the project. It's there project that'll fail, not yours. If you think you can make it better, start your own, don't rely on other people's work. The fact that so much has been done in itself should be motivational enough to understand what CAN be achieved, opposed to blindlessly wondering in a binary desert in hope of finding some grandiose oasis.

As for my personal thoughts on advertisments and indirect money making means. Well, quite frankly, it's what makes the internet what it is today. Just like people who complain about taxes and evdaing them. If everyone evaded taxes, nothing would get done. Just as if everyone evdaded ads and other things online similar, the internet wouldn't have been as popular as it is today and not nearly half as productive. Imagine what shows would be on TV if noone ever watched the commercials, rendering most shows impossible to make.

Kindest regards,

Wafflez

Clements

Very well said. Its a shame that people continue to not appreciate the great work and contribution Zilmar and the rest of the PJ64 team have made. Behind every great emulator are ordinary, talented people who are generous to share their wonderful work with the public. I know that I and my young brother have had a lot of fun using PJ64, and appreciate the great work.