What's new

Project 64 slow and framey

super_gamer

After updating graphics with Glide 64 Napalm wx v1. I have no idea how to make the game run at normal speed.

Frames per second 19.89

Thank you.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Glide64 shows the games' internal framerate, not the refresh rate of the NTSC or PAL signal (60Hz/50Hz; Many NTSC games run at ~20fps internally, while still maintaining a 60hz refresh rate). It's rare for a game to run at true 60fps internally, but some games do, e.g. F-Zero, GoldenEye, possibly WaveRace64 and others.

It's another matter entirely if the game truly seems choppy, in which case the game can't keep up with NTSC's 60hz refresh rate and starts to drop frames.

Last edited:
OP
S

super_gamer

Is there a fix to this? The audio is choppy as are the imagery. Its to the point where the game is not playable.

Thanks.

Toasty

Sony battery
Check the "FPS" (which isn't actually frames per second) listed in PJ64's status bar. It should be ~60fps for NTSC ROMs or ~50fps for PAL ROMs. Is it?

OP
S

super_gamer

No it is not this speed, what I had written earlier with the fps, I ticked the fps option with the little black rectangular box down the bottom left screen, it read 19 fps at the most, its lowest is 15 fps.

My graphics card is fully updated, computer is somewhat fast. 2gbs ram 2.13 ghz.

Toasty

Sony battery
No it is not this speed, what I had written earlier with the fps, I ticked the fps option with the little black rectangular box down the bottom left screen, it read 19 fps at the most, its lowest is 15 fps.
That is not the "FPS" counter in PJ64's status bar. That is Glide64's FPS counter. What does the one in PJ64's status bar read? (You must be playing in windowed mode to see it.)

OP
S

super_gamer

Okay, the V/I's read, which I am assuming act as the same as FPS, were reading 60 in the load screen, however once the "course" began the FPS immediately dropped to 40 then down to 20.

The game works perfectly with Jabo's Direct gfx, I can not use this default as the graphics don't work as well.

I'm not too sure what other graphic plugins may be compatible, I am currently running the game Pokemon Snap, Monopoly etc.

My graphics card is Nvidia FX 5500, updated with the most recent update.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Clements

Yep, Glide64 does require a fairly beefy graphics card if you are using the Glitch64 included wrapper. Other wrappers don't work as well as Glitch64, so I'd suggest using either Jabo's or Rice's/1964 video for most games you try instead, whichever works better for that particular game.