What's new

Project 64 is Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fanatic 64

Let's face it, there has been no new releases since October 2010 (there are reports of an alpha version which came out in July 2011, but no more), there has been no news since May 2011 (and that one was Jabo's troughs about Ocarina of Time 3D, the last real news about Project 64 were in October 2010, alongside with said build), and furthermore, the download page for Project 64 1.7 has been down for months (aka the money donated since then has been completely wasted), Jabo retired from the hacking business, which means Project 64 plugins haven't been in development since then (Jabo never released he's code, so it's unlikely someone will continue with the plugins), and finally, Zilmar and he's crew are nowhere to be found, so they pretty much followed Martin Korth's example and abandoned the project without giving a **** about it.

Personally I think the entire N64 scene is in crisis, since most of it's projects are dead/dying, and it's overall delayed from when it should already be.

Toasty

Sony battery
Personally I think the entire N64 scene is in crisis, since most of it's projects are dead/dying, and it's overall delayed from when it should already be.
So can we assume your plan is to take up programming and reignite the N64 emulation scene with new vigor? :bouncy:

OP
F

Fanatic 64

I don't know why everybody took "crisis" that bad.
Check out the Mupen64Plus project if you are worried about the N64 scene dying.
I have tried to use Mupen64Plus but it's command prompt-only interface has deterred me.
So can we assume your plan is to take up programming and reignite the N64 emulation scene with new vigor? :bouncy:
I ignore if you are a developer or not, but I'm sorry if you think I'm asking too much, I just based in the fact that most (NOT ALL) N64-releated projects are being abandoned/stalted and no new projects are coming out.
Crisis?

First world problems...
...???, I never put the N64 scene before "world problems".

It's been said many times (and I can't pass up another opportunity to say it), but you can't really do much with people sitting on the code letting it waste away. All this time someone would have picked it up and would have advanced it, but people are too afraid to let that happen due to the idiots who would also use it. Not to worry though, once someone starts talking about how they killed this emulator, the thread will be closed very soon after. Open source and free development are not words widely used by the PJ64 team. It's a shame, the best N64 emulator is being held hostage by its creators.

Last edited:

Allnatural

It's been said many times (and I can't pass up another opportunity to say it), but you can't really do much with people sitting on the code letting it waste away. All this time someone would have picked it up and would have advanced it, but people are too afraid to let that happen due to the idiots who would also use it.
And I'll say again that releasing the source isn't the magic bullet some people make it out to be. After all, they did release it (v1.4, remember?) and...not much happened. A few people tinkered with it, but that's about it.

So what makes you think that v1.6 (or newer) would garner more attention?

Making it known that a Google Code page was setup and that anyone who understands what's going on would be able to make changes would go a long way in getting things going again. I don't know how long it would take for people who knew what they were doing to gather and add to the code, but the option would be there for as long as needed. It's better than there being no chance of anyone ever doing anything. Just open it up and see what happens. When it comes to very popular console emulators, people will get things done one way or another, eventually.

Personally, I'd create a thread announcing this at some point, have someone able to add others to the project, go from there and watch it fly.

Surkow

I don't know why everybody took "crisis" that bad.

I have tried to use Mupen64Plus but it's command prompt-only interface has deterred me.

[...]
You might be interested in this frontend for Mupen64Plus.

A recent version of Mupen64Plus has been ported to Android, iPhone, WebOS and OpenPandora. Ari64 created a new dynarec from scratch for this project intended for embedded devices with memory constraints. To me this shows the N64 scene is far from dead.

death--droid

[SS] Starscream the source code for Rice Video, and 1964 have both being released for years, and not much has really happened over all these years, the release of the project 64 code isn't going to revitalize the community in anyway, and it would probably just end up like 1964, some additions and fixes here and there, but no real big changes. Stop demanding for the Project64 code to be released, it really is starting to get irritating, and I really can't ever see the code being released any time soon.
If you want to see something that is progressing well, then look at Schibo's latest project, http://www.emutalk.net/threads/53919-1964js?p=445420

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
You might be interested in this frontend for Mupen64Plus.

A recent version of Mupen64Plus has been ported to Android, iPhone, WebOS and OpenPandora. Ari64 created a new dynarec from scratch for this project intended for embedded devices with memory constraints. To me this shows the N64 scene is far from dead.

Do you have a link or information on the iPhone port of mupen64plus ? Does it have a name ?

I am unable to find anything but the Android port.

thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, I think you were talking about n64iphone?

Last edited:

Surkow

Do you have a link or information on the iPhone port of mupen64plus ? Does it have a name ?

I am unable to find anything but the Android port.

thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, I think you were talking about n64iphone?

Yes, I was talking about N64iphone. Although it doesn't seem to be using the faster dynarec from Ari64. So your best bet for mobile gaming would be Android.

Predator82

What is better? Give the source to the community and maybe we get something new (googlecode were good) or the devs sitting on the source and nothing happens anymore?

squall_leonhart

The Great Gunblade Wielder
Better is not letting idiots like those behind mupen destroy the emulator for their own fantasies of a module style emulator.

[SS] Starscream the source code for Rice Video, and 1964 have both being released for years

You guys are a worse broken record than I am about this. Every time this subject comes up we end up talking about other emulators or outdated versions. We're talking about PJ64 up-to-date stuff, not 1964 or anything else.

the release of the project 64 code isn't going to revitalize the community in anyway, and it would probably just end up like 1964, some additions and fixes here and there, but no real big changes

You should be a motivational speaker, or should I say, a speaker that brings people down and tells them that things are never going to work out for them. Stop talking out of your arse, you have no idea what will happen. Attitudes like that are a part of the problem, not the solution. Besides, we're not talking about a random source release, we're talking about something more organized.

Stop demanding for the Project64 code to be released

Maybe you need to get some better reading comprehension skills, I've never demanded anything. Discussion is not a demand.

it really is starting to get irritating

Maybe you should consider not posting anymore if you can't control your emotions and are getting annoyed? It's not like someone sent you a PM and wanted to talk to you directly, or even at all.

Last edited:

Toasty

Sony battery
You guys are a worse broken record than I am about this.

Stop talking out of your arse, you have no idea what will happen. Attitudes like that are a part of the problem, not the solution.

Maybe you should consider not posting anymore if you can't control your emotions and are getting annoyed? It's not like someone sent you a PM and wanted to talk to you directly, or even at all.

@Starscream: All of the above quotes are things that you might want to think about yourself. Is it any wonder these threads get closed when they invariably lead to pissing matches and non-developers criticizing developers for not doing what they want them to? (Not to mention the fact that source requests are against this board's rules in the first place.)

@Other concerned members: If you don't like the way the emulation scene is progressing (or not progressing) then get involved and start making some contributions to the field you're so invested in. Whining about the ways that you dislike developer X's actions or developer Y's source release policy is not a productive use of your time, and is rather hypocritical when you have not released any work yourself. Maybe when and if you do develop something, you'll have more insight into why other developers behave the way they do. If you really think that you have what it takes to persuade a developer to release closed source code, this is not the proper place to do it.

I don't see that this thread has much left to accomplish, as it's topic was pretty rhetorical from the get-go. None of the developers being discussed are involved in the discussion.

[/closed]

Status
Not open for further replies.