What's new

Problems with Jabo's Video Plugin and my GeForce4 MX 440

celticwarrior9

Hello everyone,

I have recently installed a GeForce4 MX 440 AGP8x card in my computer (stole it from my dad´s PC! =-)). I was playing Zelda before on my VIA/S3 UniChrome Integrated Video Card (bleargh!), but it was workinf mostly fine. Then with my new(?) card, it worked fine with the Microsoft drivers, but when I upgraded to the latest nVidia drivers, some of the grass became all black, and other issues appeared, too. I reverted the driver back to the old Microsoft one, but after some testing with other drivers, I was not able to restore my ol' good Microsoft driver, so I'm stuck with the most up-to-date driver of nVidia.
I've read the FAQ, and it says that it happens because of not meeting the minimun requirements, but I checked them, and my card is almost "recommended". So, any ideas?
SysSpecs:
AMD Sempron 2300+
256Mb RAM
Geforce4 MX 440 AGP8x
Motherboard (does it matter?): ASUS A7V400 MX
DirectX 9.0c
WinXP SP2
Project64 1.6
Jabo's Direct3D8 video plugin v1.6
Thanks!

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Try it with Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin. I'm no expert, but I read somewhere that Nvidia has dropped some "crucial" features in their newest drivers that cause some serious problems with older cards. I'm not sure, but judging by the graphical issues your having, the problem has to do with missing pixel/vertex shader effects.

What baffles me is what prevents you from uninstalling the Nvidia drivers (followed by running Driver Cleaner so that it erases all traces of the video card driver from your system) and then installing either the stock Microsoft driver or an older Nvidia Forceware set?

Last edited:
OP
C

celticwarrior9

Thanks!

Thanks!
I had some problems finding older Forceware, but, when I installed the oldest I could find, the graphics came back to normal!

p_025

Voted Least Likely to Succeed
I used to play on an MX440. It was quite simply terrible. Unless you're playing at lower resolutions with most quality features off, it's definitely no good these days. I'm much happier with my GeForce 7600GS.

Volbeat

Ooh. Ooh. I'm having the same problem with the same card.

However, one issue is that my particular graphics card is faulty, so it'll mess up the polygons and possibly freeze up in all hardware accellerated programs. Jabo's newer plugin has a feature (Use Direct3D Transformation Pipeline) that prevents, or helps prevent, that from happening. I haven't seen a feature like that in his older plugin (though i probably didn't look hard enough), so I can't use that.

Are there any more advanced plugins that have greater control over your graphics, fix the black grass problem, and has "Use Direct3D Transformation Pipeline".