What's new

Problem with XP & PJ64 1.40

OmegaFirebolt

OK, I checked to see if it was my roms already and it's not them. My problem is that 1.40 will not load a rom over the size of 256 MBit. I can load Zelda MM just fine and it is a 256 MBit rom... the problem comes when I try to load roms that are like 5xx MBit. Don't remember the last 2 digits but I think they make it something like 576 MBits. Every time I load a rom larger than that 256 MBits it gives a black screen in the emu then locks and then XP gives an error saying that Project64.exe gave an error at some memory location. Version 1.3 still plays these roms just fine with a few bugs that are in 1.3 to begin with.

Specs: (Don't laugh please)
AMD K6-2 500 MHz
128 Megs Ram
16 Meg TNT2 M64 card running newest Nvidia Drivers

Any help would be aprieciated.

OP
O

OmegaFirebolt

What? did they up the system requirements for 1.4?

Like I said before. I can play the roms in 1.3 but not in 1.4 don't know y. I can also tell you it not the plugins since I can run the roms in 1.3 using the 1.4 plugins. I just want to know if there is a fix for this. It only happens in XP as far as I can tell since I have my comp to duel boot XP and ME. It works fine in ME but I don't use ME much and don't want to have to either. Thinking of dropping the ME soon.

gokuss4

Meh...
for PJ64 i would at least recommend an amd-k7 600MHZ (i think thats where amd-k7) well and the vid card is allright probably do better blending than mine but probably not as fast ??? well and te ram its so-so try to get 160mb or 256mb recommended for 512mb games.

OP
O

OmegaFirebolt

hmmmmm............. guess I could check on a diff comp to find out but I don't think that the problem. Wish I knew why this happened just from a few changes from 1.3 to 1.4 though.

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
What games are 576? I have a few 512 ROMs, but nothing higher so I can't see if I have the same problem for you. Can you load Pokemon Stadium 2 or Conkers Bad Fur Day?

OP
O

OmegaFirebolt

Sry for not replying sooner but car probs have priority over emu probs. Car fixed now. ok, I was wrong on the 576 thing, I stand corrected but then again I said in the begining that I didn't remember so.... anyways, it is 512 and I can't load either roms you mentioned using 1.4. but both run fine with 1.3 in same comp using same OS and same settings. In 1.4 I keep getting this error:

Pict_1.jpg

Here is the extra stuff you get when hitting the more info option:

Pict_2.jpg

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Are you running it fullscreen? is yes, try windowed. make sure it's not set to go str8 to full screen upon ROM load

OP
O

OmegaFirebolt

I have tried using both windowed and fullscreen modes, even with and without fullscreen on rom load. Problem is, it loads 100%, then the screen/window goes black like normal and fps says something like 11.23 and then I get the error instantly after that.

Acorn

We had a discussion about this a while ago.

What apps are you running in the background? Anything special? I had knoticed that after extended (usually when I went without rebooting for days) PJ64 would work fine but not run any rom over 256mb.

Really, have no idea what might cause it, but it only seems to happen on Athlon, and we've only ever had 3 peeps get the error now.

DeepBlade

:hrm: :hrm: :hrm: :hrm: :hrm:
anything a k6 does, it can't compare to a p3... if you want something POWERFUL, get an athlon thunderbird or p4

EdgeBlade

Brandonn
Actually, stay away from the P4s for awhile. Due to M$ rushing to get them out they cut lots of corners on desgin and they are know to run much slower then you'd think

OP
O

OmegaFirebolt

Ok, sry for not posting sooner, been busy yet again.

1. nothing running in background other than the normal stuff you would get after a fresh install of XP. I even have this problem if I do a fresh hard reboot.

2. Don't have the money to upgrade right now and if I did I wouldn't get a P4 even if it were handed to me for free. (then again...........)

3. Athlons are a lot better than the P4s that are out there right now so if I ever did get the money to upgrade, then that would be the direction I would go.

Ok, now I think that takes care of all replies that came after my last one........ Don't hold me to that tho. lol