What's new

Plugins help

Delathor

Hi, Im new to mupen, and I was wondering, are there other plugins aside from the ones that come with mupen? What is a plugin anyway? A shared library? Or can it read DLLs?

Thanks in advance

Sir Camehan

A plugin is a library, in *.dll format (for Windows) that emulates a certain component of the N64, like the graphics processor OR RSP. There is a large number of different N64 emulator plugins, and they all should work with Mupen64 just fine.

You can get a large number of Nintendo 64 emulator plugins from the download section of this forum. There is no "best" video, sound, RSP or input plugin, as they all have different strengths & weaknesses, so the only way to get a decent plugin is through experimentation to see which combination of plugins works the best.

OP
D

Delathor

Thanks a lot, that really clarifies. Now a technical question for coders. How can a DLL be used in a linux program? Just curious

ciruZ

It can't be used at all. Only through the emulation of the needed parts of the winapi. For example, mplayer does that.
For Linux, you want native Mupen64 Plugins. They come with Mupen and others can be found in the forums. They're .so files.

OP
D

Delathor

Ah, ok! Thanks for the answers! BTW, you guys need coders? Im a C/C++ coder, I could try to help.

ciruZ

I'd suggest that you first get familar with plugins :). Read ld.so(8), for example.
If you want to contribute to the emulator core, you should wait for 0.5 and then send your patches to Hacktarux, since a lot's going to change from 0.4 to 0.5. Anyway, you should know the N64 hardware really well.

OP
D

Delathor

Im quite familiar with linux dynamic libraries enviroment, though I know nothing of N64 hardware. But I guess there are docs available, arent there?