What's new

Please insert controller.

Surreal Killa

Well I'm trying to play Zelda 2 and it loads and it just shows the mask floating around and the text says to insert controller. How do I fix this?

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
There is no Zelda 2 for the Nintendo 64.

Is the Player 1 controller marked as Plugged in?

OP
S

Surreal Killa

Yes there is. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

And I don't have any controllers plugged into my PC. I wanna use the mouse and keyboard, is this not possible? I could do it on Win emus. BTW I'm using Linux if it matter.

Here's a screenshot of it exactly:

screenshotuv8.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Surkow

If you go to the input configuration you can choose the device by clicking on the button left of "Device". After that press on "Plugged".

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Well I'm trying to play Zelda 2 and it loads and it just shows the mask floating around and the text says to insert controller. How do I fix this?
You have to explicitly tell blight's input plugin which of the four n64 controllers you want the emulator to see as plugged in. In the blight input config dialog, there's a button for each controller called "plugged". It's hard to tell at first, but this button is basically a checkbox. So your problem is that none of the controllers are marked as "plugged" in the blight_input config. For mupen64plus, I'm working on a new gtk-based config dialog so the plugged checkbox should be clearer in the future.

Agozer

Yes there is. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

And I don't have any controllers plugged into my PC. I wanna use the mouse and keyboard, is this not possible? I could do it on Win emus. BTW I'm using Linux if it matter.
No. Majora's Mask isn't Zelda 2.

If you want mouse + keyboard, use the N-Rage Input plugin. If it's possible to use said plugin with Mupen, that is.

EDIT: Ah, you mentioned Linux. AFAIK, you're SOL then.

thatmariolover

No. Majora's Mask isn't Zelda 2.

If you want mouse + keyboard, use the N-Rage Input plugin. If it's possible to use said plugin with Mupen, that is.

EDIT: Ah, you mentioned Linux. AFAIK, you're SOL then.

It's the second Zelda for the N64. Do you really feel the need to argue over something trivial?

Agozer

It's not trivial to me, but what the hell, ok.

Like I said, if you're using Linux, I doubt you will have the "luxury to play with a mouse and keyboard. Besides, why would anyone in their right mind paly Majora's mask with a mouse and keyboard? FPSes like Perfect Dark and GoldenEye I can understand, but not Zelda.

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
If you really want to nitpick, this is most correct:

Zelda 2 = NES Game (Generally besides Wand of Ganon considered the worst of the series)
Zelda64 = Ocarina of Time
Zelda64 2 = Majora's Mask

I've never heard Majora's Mask referred to as Zelda 2, only as Zelda64 2.

As far as keyboard and mouse. There is an enable mouse button in Blight. It doesn't seem to work for me though, i.e. it does grab all mouse events from the window system, but doesn't move anything in the emulator. Maybe this might be a bug worth fixing?

Tillin9

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Just a quick question, did you reproduce the error on your machine? Also, what is our Issue policy? Most projects I've been involved with its advisable for at least two users to have the same reproduceable issue before opening a bug tracker, i.e. our goggle Issues.

ebenblues

Mupen64Plus Dev.
Just a quick question, did you reproduce the error on your machine? Also, what is our Issue policy? Most projects I've been involved with its advisable for at least two users to have the same reproduceable issue before opening a bug tracker, i.e. our goggle Issues.
I didn't try reproducing the error. I opened the issue so I won't forget to try to reproduce it later. I don't think we have a formal policy on reporting bugs as of now. I don't see a reason to limit what comes in on the issue tracker at this point since not many people are reporting bugs. If I'm not able to recreate it and we determine it's a problem with your configuration or something like that, I'll just change it's status to "Invalid" and add a comment indicating what the problem was with your config. I think this is actually good because then we can refer others with similar problems to that issue and save some typing.

If, later on, the project becomes much more popular and we start getting flooded with invalid or duplicate bug reports in the issue tracker, then we'll want to enforce some restrictions or guidelines, but right now I think it's appropriate to open an issue for any potential issue with the system.