What's new

Please Help!!

heynow

So I cant seem to get project64 to work properly on my laptop (windows 7). Yes it has nice video card and all that (though strangely it says Intel HD on the settings screen, even though switchable graphics are set to high performance).

Tried Goldeneye, Textures were all f'd up and wavy, sky was black. Tried Banjo Tooue, weird texture marks on ground and camera didnt centre properly. Sure if I kept trying roms I would run into other problems too...What is happening? Am I missing something? (these roms are good and tested btw)

DETOMINE

So I cant seem to get project64 to work properly on my laptop (windows 7). Yes it has nice video card and all that (though strangely it says Intel HD on the settings screen, even though switchable graphics are set to high performance).

Tried Goldeneye, Textures were all f'd up and wavy, sky was black. Tried Banjo Tooue, weird texture marks on ground and camera didnt centre properly. Sure if I kept trying roms I would run into other problems too...What is happening? Am I missing something? (these roms are good and tested btw)

I did have the same problem. I couldn't make dolphin and pj64 recognize my graphic card. The only thing that worked for me was to disabled the HD4000 (fn F7 on an alienware notebook).
You may want to upload your graphic driver (Catalyst 12.8 are out). I'm assuming you have an ATI card because Nvidia card don't have, as far as I know, such problem.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
AFAIK, You can't just download any ATI Catalyst drivers for your laptop if you have a dual graphics (switchable) setup. You have a use a specific driverset for switchable graphics, usually provided by your laptop's manufacturer.

If the graphics plugin only detects one of your graphics adapters, and doesn't let you choose which one to use, you need to disable the other one completely (either through the BIOS or via some other method).

Last edited:

DETOMINE

AFAIK, You can't just download any ATI Catalyst drivers for your laptop if you have a dual graphics (switchable) setup. You have a use a specific driverset for switchable graphics, usually provided by your laptop's manufacturer.
If the graphics plugin only detects one of your graphics adapters, and doesn't let you choose which one to use, you need to disable the other one completely (either through the BIOS or via some other method).

Not true. I have a notebook with an integrated graphic card (HD4000) and a stand alone graphic card (7970M) and I am using the catalyst driver 12.8 (be sure to use the one for the mobility card).
Your second statement seems to be true, since it was the only solution I found months ago (i.e. disable the HD4000).

edit : heynow, if you have the same problem that I had (ati card and switchable graphic), updated driver won't do anything (I just tested with catalyst 12.8), so don't bother.

As Agozer said, you may want/need to disable the integrated graphic card (fn f7 on alienware, maybe settings in the bios...)

Last edited:

Agozer

Well, in any case, the Radeon Catalyst driver's release notes specifically say this:

The following notebooks are not compatible with this release:

Any notebook launched after this driver release.
Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks.
Toshiba notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these. notebooks)
Sony VAIO notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)
Panasonic notebooks (please contact the notebook OEM for driver support for these notebooks)

DETOMINE

Well, in any case, the Radeon Catalyst driver's release notes specifically say this:[...]
Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks.
Holy heaven, you're right. But it's weird : the Catalyst driver's release doesn't even specify the compatibility with 7XXXM models.
I don't know what to say, maybe I should also specify that I am not using the official driver but the 7900M mod provided by [url="http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-8-whql-7900-mod]benchmark3D[/url].

So as far as I can tell from my tests, you can use if you want up-to-date drivers and you have a M17x r4, a 7970M and a HD4000 disabled while installing the catalyst 12.8 7900M mod, it will work (switch will work, performances are good, but you will still have problem with dolphin or pj64 not detecting your card while HD4000 is enabled).

squall_leonhart said:
disabling the HD4000 will break the operating system (black screen at login) in some cases
Disabling the HD4000 is easy on an alienware notebook and it is a standard procedure. But I don't know about other notebooks and you are absolutely right to insist on the risks.
If heynow has an alienware notebook with an ATI card, I may be able to share with him my feedback and the solution I found.

But we still don't know the model of the laptop (is there a specific and risk-free procedure for disabling the integrated graphic card with the model he owns?), we don't know the model of the graphic card, etc...

OP
H

heynow

Ive got an HP, not alienware. The card is radeon 6770. Are you sayin Pj64 wont run properly cos its set on the Intel? Shouldnt it still be able to run on the Intel though? I think, as you mentioned you did, I have the same problem with Dolphin not recognising the card, yet dolphin still works fine.

DETOMINE

Are you sayin Pj64 wont run properly cos its set on the Intel? Shouldnt it still be able to run on the Intel though?

Yes. If you want to verify which GPU are in use, you can for example configure the jabo D8 plugin, it shows the GPU in use in the settings.

Pj64 runs fine on the HD4000. If you have another one, it may not work (can you give us the model of your processor?). You may want to update your drivers. As Agozer said, it is far safer to look for drivers certified for your laptop (i.e. looking on the HP website).

heynow said:
I think, as you mentioned you did, I have the same problem with Dolphin not recognising the card, yet dolphin still works fine.

Can you please make a small test for me?
Open dolphin, open the Graphics settings. Change the backend. Close and reopen the graphics settings and please tell me if the adapter is your integrated GPU or the dedicated one.

edit : it seems for now that the only solution to get dolphin or pj64 not using the integrated GPU is to disabled it. If you want to do this, please be careful.

edit 2 : your card is most likely a 6770M (or mobility 6770), not to be confound with the desktop 6770.

Last edited:

Agozer

I have a HP Pavillion with switchable graphics (Radeon 6670M IIRC, is the high end, and 4200M and the other), and Project64 detects my 6670M properly. I don't remember having much luck with Demul, though.

Dolphin will always show the integrated GPU regardless of what you change, but that doesn't mean it's not using the discrete GPU when the game loads.

I have an HD6520G and a discrete HD6650M. Dolphin always shows the HD6520G in the graphics config, but AMD system monitor does show that the HD6650 is actually being used during the game. It's being used because I added the Dolphin.exe to the high performance profile in CCC. Catalyst 12.8 was giving me issues, so I went back to 12.6.

Last edited:
OP
H

heynow

Dolphin will always show the integrated GPU regardless of what you change, but that doesn't mean it's not using the discrete GPU when the game loads.

I have an HD6520G and a discrete HD6650M. Dolphin always shows the HD6520G in the graphics config, but AMD system monitor does show that the HD6650 is actually being used during the game. It's being used because I added the Dolphin.exe to the high performance profile in CCC. Catalyst 12.8 was giving me issues, so I went back to 12.6.

yes, this is what I thougt. Remember, Im not having problem with the speed of the game or anything, just weird shit is going on with the textures and colors like I said