What's new

PhoneLine Networking

truffles

A Pixelating Eskimo
Hello,

During the month of October, I would like to buy and setup a home phone line network consisting of 2 hpn pci cards, 1 router, 2 computers. I would like to network 2 computers and share files and a network dsl connection.

Would anyone happen to know is it possible to use a standard hardware router to route my internet connection. I know phoneline routers exists, but they are very expensive.

Do you think this would work?

normal nic ~> rj45 lan to standard router ~> rj45 lan converter adapter to rj11 phoneline ~> phoneline jack

jack ~> rj11 phoneline ~> homephoneline card

Would these converters work with the router?

Thank You!

iq_132

Banned
Why don't you just set up a normal network... get some cat 5s and two ethernet cards ($10 a piece) and a router/hub. It'll probably be less complicated.

OP
truffles

truffles

A Pixelating Eskimo
The 2 computers are out of reach with cables. I would love to setup basic network, but I cannot.

I am not allowed to drill holes, bring wires outside, wire them out the room, through the hallways, up the 2 stairs, through another hallway, into my room.

It is kinda sad that the other computer is right above this one.

Pixelating Eskimo

iq_132

Banned
Hmmm. I'd suggest running it underneath some carpeting.
I've heard some things about power wire modems.
I'd alsos suggest a wireless network. Little or no hastle..

OP
truffles

truffles

A Pixelating Eskimo
Home A/C Power System is a possibility . It would be better than HomePNA because the power outlets are even closer to the computers =) . Unfortunatly, the setup is more expensive. I don't know about sharing connection through this standard. I would imagine it would be even more complicated.

I'll love to go wireless, but I'm not quite ready for it yet. I did some research for the pass couple of weeks.
I found this neat product from BlueGear which allows you to setup a network using bluetooth technology. It's $128 cdn to network 2 pcs together. I would go for it, but there is no available hardware router which goes with this product. The speed is around 1.5mb/s which is slow . . . but is ok for ICS. The range is about 55feet.

802.11b is just to expensive over here!

I really would like to go with phone line networking only because theres not much more other solutions. Cat5 would be best for me but as I said I could not.

IQ_132 and or anybody, do you know if those module converters would work with the router and in a PNA network ?