What's new

Perpetual Sound Suckage

SausageMan

I have used both 1964 and Project64, and have used every single audio plugin available to each of them, on two different computers, and I have yet to get the sound to not suck. I've gotten close, but if it's not distorted and super choppy, it's at least crackly and poppy, and I can't ever seem to get away from that. I don't completely understand RSP's, but I've turned them on and off anyway and there's no change. Am I just going to have to live with this?

Oh yeah, specs:

My comp.: Windows XP w/ Service Pack 2 (not my fault), Pentium 4, 3.2ghz, 1 gb of ram, on-board sound (also not my fault), ATI Radeon 9600

School comp.: Dell Pentium 4, 2.8ghz, 1 gb ram, that's all they'll tell me

Hellfire51

Is it sound crackling? I had that too until I switched to Azimer's HLE .56 WP2 and then go into "Configure RSPs" and set it to "Send RSP Lists to Audio Plugin". That cleared it all up for me.

CF2

Pretends to make sense
Onboard sound = suckage. I would reccomend using the mupen64 rsp plugin. Go into its config and select process alists by rsp defined plugin. Choose azimers 0.56 wip2 from the box. Now, change the actual audio plugin to schibo's. What this does is use azimers ultra high quality sound processing will a really easy, non cpu/apu intensive output plugin. It worked when nothing else would with my friend's onboard sound.

Hellfire51

Onboard sound doesn't have to suck. Some of Intel's newest chipsets have pretty good sound quality. Plus, I doubt with emulation if you would hear that big of a difference between onboard and soundcard audio.

OP
SausageMan

SausageMan

Sweet, Mupen64 works a lot better for me! I actually couldn't get that whole backwards RSP thing to work, but just using the regular audio plugin works fine, and video and everything just runs better.

And actually, my onboard sound in general is pretty good, which says something coming from me, since I'm kind of an audiophile.

gandalf

Member ready to help
CF2 said:
Onboard sound = suckage.
FALSE, NVIdia Soundstorm, integrated sound card in Nforce 2 SouthBridge (Ultra) it´s great option.

And the new audio solution in some ATI chipsets and ULI ones, Intel ( :rolleyes: ) too, and the Sound onboard of the MSI Neo 4 diammond it´s great too (by creative)

SiS 7018 it´s an standard sound solution and never gave me those problems, even with Jabo´s Sound

Maybe his problem it´s with the drivers...

OP
SausageMan

SausageMan

Actually, after playing around with mupen a bit, I think P64 was just not doing well overall on my comp. The video was jerky as well as the sound, so I think it just had a heavier load on my cpu or something.