What's new

Performance issues and crashes

Nevon

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to get N64 emulation to work well on my emulation box. My problem is that the only video plugin that seems to get me good performance, Rice's video plugin v 6.1.0c, causes my emulator to freeze up at random intervals. No error message is displayed, and nothing is created in the Logs directory.

I'm running PJ64 1.6 with the latest updates. The computer I'm running it on has a 1.8gHz Atom processor and an Nvidia ION chip with the latest drivers, running Windows 7. It's not exactly a beast of a machine, but it can emulate Playstation games perfectly, and with Rice's plugin I get near perfect performance, so it seems unlikely that it's a hardware limitation.

I've tried the following video plugins:
  • 1964Video N64 Video Plugin Community version
  • Glide64 'Final' Date: Dec 29 2011 (also known as "Napalm WX")
  • Jabo's Direct3D6 1.5.2
  • Jabo's Direct3D8 1.6.1
  • Rice's Video Plugin 6.1.0

As I mentioned before, I get pretty bad performance out of all of them, except for Rice's. As far as I can tell, I'm using the same settings with all of them. I find that a little strange, since the 1964 one is supposed to be based on Rice's AFAIK, but I'm getting horrible graphics glitches and super-mega-slow speeds with it.

So, what can I do now to try and fix this? Is there a version of Rice's plugin that I should try? Could I tweak the settings somehow? Is there a way to get an error log (like I said, the Logs directory has nothing) so that I can at least find out what's wrong? I'm not married to Rice's plugin, so if there's a way to squeeze the performance out of one of the other plugins, I'd be open for that.

For the sake of posterity, I should mention that I'm using Jabo's sound and input plugins. Here are some screenshots of the video settings I'm using (it won't let me post the full URL, so just remove the spaces and it'll work): http :// imgur .com /a/uE2MI

If there's any more information I can provide, please ask.

Thank you.

EDIT: I gave Jabo's Direct3D6 plugin another shot, and I seem to be getting okay performance out of it. Not as good as with Rice, but far better than the other ones. It's not perfect, but it is better. Ideally, I'd like to get Glide to work better, since it has far better accuracy than the other ones.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Just because your computer can run PlayStation games perfectly, doesn't mean that it can automatically run Nintendo64 games perfectly. Or rather, the Ninteno64 emulation is much more demanding on the hardware especially on the graphics side of things.

That said, there's nothing bad in your setup at irst glance, although I'm betting on the ION graphics chip being the culprit on some level (its specs notwithstanding). Then again, I'm shooting in the dark here.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nevon

Just because your computer can run PlayStation games perfectly, doesn't mean that it can automatically run Nintendo64 games perfectly.
Yes, I'm aware of that. The only reason I mentioned it is because on other forums that I have come across in my search, people tend to blame the hardware even when the specs are more the adequate.

Or rather, the Ninteno64 emulation is much more demanding on the hardware especially on the graphics side of things.
Really? I didn't know that. I would have assumed it was the other way around.