What's new

Performance Boost for Glide64 users

straight

On the Glide64 Emu X Forums, Gonetz pointed out a setting for the Glide64 plugin (0.3, but will probably work with earlier versions) that gave me a big increase in speed. Quite a few games went from almost-playable to playable or from playable to perfect.

Open a ROM, then after it's running, go to the Video Plugin configuration screen. Uncheck the box that says "Autodetect Microcode" (when it's checked, Glide64 does a check for the microcode every frame, which is needed for a few games, but is unnecessary for most--none that I've found yet).

Doing this gave me big performance boosts on:
Banjo 1&2
Duke Zero Hour
Diddy Kong
F-Zero

and minor boosts on Castlevania, Snowkids2, and WaveRace.

I think it may make things a little more unstable - I've had a few more crashes and lockups than usual - but only when switching roms or changing plugins or otherwise messing around, not during gameplay.

If you're not sure about manually setting the microcode for a particular game, make sure the autodetect is on (checked) before you open the ROM, then uncheck it. Otherwise you definitely will have graphic glitches, crashes, and lockups

Last edited:

zorbid

You should report this to Gonetz, coz an ini option could do that automatically for all the games that don't need ucode detection at every frame.

Zephon

Key To The Universe
zorbid said:
You should report this to Gonetz, coz an ini option could do that automatically for all the games that don't need ucode detection at every frame.

Actually, Gonetz already knows about this. straight already posted about this in Glide64's official forum a few days ago. In fact, Gonetz was the one who said that a speed increase might be possible.

OP
straight

straight

Zephon said:
Actually, Gonetz already knows about this. straight already posted about this in Glide64's official forum a few days ago. In fact, Gonetz was the one who said that a speed increase might be possible.

Yeah, this is just a public service announcement to tide people over until Gonetz's next release.

I'll edit my original post to give credit to Gonetz instead of making it sound like I figured this out myself.