What's new

PC gamepads?

zazzyzulu

Since I have given up on using my cheapo Boom N64/USB converter, I am considering buying a gamepad. I'm wondering if there are any that are set up like an N64 controller? Basically every controller I've seen looks just like a PS2 controller. Or if there aren't any that are set up like an N64 controller (with the 3 handles or whatever) are there any whose button layouts can be configured to work well with PJ64?

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
zazzyzulu said:
are there any whose button layouts can be configured to work well with PJ64?

yes i use the hammerhead FX
it's from InterAct it and works good
with 2 analog sticks 1 digital pad 4 triggers and 8 buttons
6 of the 8 buttons are for game play
and the other 1 of 2 of them can be for timeout
so u can have A, B, (4) C, the (3) triggers the L, R, and S triggers
Start, Up, Down, Left, Right, and the 8 point analog stick

but InterAct sold out to Mad Catz
so try eBay

WarlockBA

Hm, I used a Logitech Rumblepad for a while, until I had to give it back, and now I bought a Genius G12U with rumble. They both were fully configurable with PJ64. Except one minor issue, use other than default plugin, so that Rumble should also work.
Btw, the genius G12U is a decent price/quality controller. It costed arround 15$ or 20$ ...

MarkC

zazzyzulu said:
Since I have given up on using my cheapo Boom N64/USB converter, I am considering buying a gamepad. I'm wondering if there are any that are set up like an N64 controller? Basically every controller I've seen looks just like a PS2 controller.

Earlier, I searched this site for controller info, and came to the conclusion that:

- N64 controller with adapter is best (if you can get an Adaptoid).

- Saitek P880 has 6 face buttons that can be used for A, B and 4 C buttons. It only has single L+R buttons, so you must map Z somewhere other than L2.

- XBox 360 controller would work as well an anything else, and would be high quality.

- GameCube controller with USB adapter might be a good match.

Edit: I seem to have missed that the Hammerhead FX has shoulder AND trigger buttons (Z can be easily mapped) and 6 EQUAL size face buttons (for ABCx4), but the Saitek has different sized face buttons... I probably ignored it because it's not for sale new, but it looks like a good match.

Last edited:

DevilMayCry

My vote goes to a XBox 360 controller because:
- It looks kewl :D
- It's a USB pad so no need to waste extra money and time (these adpters are normally available only as import)
- It's a good quality pad
- The other PSX clone gamepads for PC are known for dying after a few months (the logitech ones are sometimes dead out of the box)

Negative point are the stupid XInput only rumble, you get rumble in the modified N-Rage input plugin but all the other PC games won't rumble.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Any pad that is responsive and is a clone of the PS2's or the X360's controller.

WarlockBA

Do not buy Thrustmaster PS2 controller imitations. I scratched my hand on it, it's uncomfy and krappy made. And breakes easily; springs from buttons get worn out fast.
If you want to buy a cheap one, express for PC then buy a Genius KYE G12U (or V if you also want vibration) or even Vibration + wireless series; for an expensive one, buy a Rumblepad from Logitech. That's my opinion...

DevilMayCry

WarlockBA said:
for an expensive one, buy a Rumblepad from Logitech. That's my opinion...
Logitech's, especially Rumblepad's are know for being crap their lifecicle goes from 0 days (that's right, broken out of the box) to 7 months.

MarkC

zazzyzulu said:
Since I have given up on using my cheapo Boom N64/USB converter...

The Boom has ports for both N64 and PS right? Have you tried borrowing a PS (PSX/PSOne) controller and plugging it in the PS port while using the N64? I read someone said that fixed it for them.

zallday

honkie-tonk blues
I recommend the xbox 360 controller since plugins have been developed (the ones in the 360 post) which makes it fully compatible (including the rumble). It also looks awsome, feels great and should work with future computer games that come out.

did i mention it looks awesome!!!

Gilberreke

DevilMayCry said:
Logitech's, especially Rumblepad's are know for being crap their lifecicle goes from 0 days (that's right, broken out of the box) to 7 months.

My two rumblepads are 2 years old and working perfectly

OP
Z

zazzyzulu

MarkC said:
The Boom has ports for both N64 and PS right? Have you tried borrowing a PS (PSX/PSOne) controller and plugging it in the PS port while using the N64? I read someone said that fixed it for them.

The problem is that my computer won't install it properly for some reason, every time I plug it in I get "had problem installing, may not work correctly" so then it's not recognized by PJ64.

LeeChaolan

CEO Mishima Zaibatsu
Try a saitek rumbleforce. Has pretty much all the buttons you need and the ability to set them anywhere.

NaSeR

Spanish Member
Now I´ve an Arker that is the tipically PS controller, it works good.

PD: I don´t want to make a new thread and the main topic is the same of this so I´ll ask here: I need a second controller and I´m looking for a Saitek P3000 (I can buy it cheaper than in shops) but it is wireless so... What´s (more or less) the average life of the batteries of this kind of pads? Will it work propertly with an emulator like 1964 or chankast?
Thanks in advance!