What's new

PC for Roms

theroman

Because I want to be able to play my roms on a tv, I'm planning on making a cheap pc I can put next to my tv. For now, it has the following specs:

CPU: Sempron 2800+ (8x200) S754
Asus: Asus K8V-XE S754
Graphics: PCI-e TBD (do have a X600XT lying around)
Ram: Up to DDR PC3200 TBD
Sound: Onboard ALC660

I would like suggestions on video cards (also concerning ones with proper TV-out composite) and on the emulators I can run with this system besides ZSNES, ePSXe and PJ64.

pcuser2008

PC Guru
basicly i would recommened you build a HTPC "Home Theatre Personal Computer"
dont bother with a video card if your going for budget i would go for a onboard solution as nowdaysz there are cheap and the onboard gpu are powerfuler then x600.
i would recommened these specs:

CPU-Athlon BE-2350 "Really Cheap and low power duel core CPU" "S754 are Discontinued"
Dont bother

Motherboard -TF7050-M2 Biostar TF7050 "as Onboard TV OUT" Cheap
- MSI K9AGM2-L "TV OUT

RAM- 512mb - 1gb for xp or 1gb - 2gb for vista "DDR2 "

OS- xp or vista

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Never get an integrated video card if you plan on using emulators, especially emulator that emulate 3D hardware.

OP
T

theroman

The reason I'm going for s754 is, because I can get really cheap parts for it (CPU + Mobo for 30 euros). Upgrade is not necessary, really.

And should I or should I not use integrated graphics? I can imagine an actual card has a better chance of being supported properly.

pcuser2008

PC Guru
The reason I'm going for s754 is, because I can get really cheap parts for it (CPU + Mobo for 30 euros). Upgrade is not necessary, really.

And should I or should I not use integrated graphics? I can imagine an actual card has a better chance of being supported properly.

really depends on the onboard solution Geforce 6050 is relitivily common in mATx motherboard plus i had a 6050 last year with a sempron 3200 for my kids tv and he was playing Project 64 roms and Dreamcast and playstation 1 at full speed but forget ps2 emulators as this requires a powerful solution not even core 2 quad + geforce 8800 can play this full speed as i tested this where i work

Last edited:

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
Use caution when taking advice from someone whom says "powerfuler"

j/k, but I couldn't help myself! :p

I do agree though, don't bother with any integrated video, even if it's Nvidia or ATI chip, do throw in that few extra bucks (even if trying to build as cheap as possible) and get a decent video card. Emulators deserve it. ;)

ATI or Nvidia, I would go Nvidia. I had my share of ATI after switching from Nvidia the past 2 or 3 years and all I can say right now is I'm glad to be back on an Nvidia chip. ATI has lousy drivers imo.

OP
T

theroman

Well, since the onboard solution on mentioned mobo is some VIA thingy, I'd best get a real card then. I'll just have to see how the X600 performes, can always get a better one.

LazerTag

Leap of Faith
That card is well above and beyond what any SNES/N64 game needs!

True, but it was also noted the need to play some PSX stuff, and that "can" eat up some serious hardware depending on what settings you like. Though going to a TV (depending on the TV) there's not much choice in available resolutions I guess.

Like Theroman said, since the X600 is there already to try, do that, then get better if needed.