What's new

Paper Mario crashes my computer...

EdgeHypermatter

Just Edge will do.
Yeah, that's what I said... When I enter a the second second door in the Dry Dry Ruins, I get the stop error and my computer restarts. I have no idea why. Then again, every computer with Win2k I've ever owned has had something that causes a stop error and a restart. On my other machine, it's AdAware, and I have no idea why. And apparently on this one, it's Paper Mario.
Anyway, let me start by saying I have no intention of switching OSes. While I'm sure switching to Linux would improve the stability of my computer, it would be at the cost of some software compatibility that I'm not willing to give up. Also, replacing any parts in the computer is out of the question since I have no money (If I had the money to buy fancy computer parts, I wouldn't be emulating games on the computer.) That said, This is what I have to work with:

Computer
System: Compaq Deskpro
Processor: PIII@600MHz (System does not recognize it as such)
Memory: 128MB SDRAM
Graphics Card: ATI Technologies Inc. 3D RAGE PRO AGP 2X
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster 16

Emulator: Mupen64 0.5.9
Plugins:
Graphics: Rice's Video 5.9.9
Input: N-Rage's Direct Input 8 V2 1.82a
Audio: Azimer's HLE Audio v0.56 WIP 1
RSP: Hactarux/Azimer HLE RSP Plugin

The entire system seems to have multiple issues, probably all stemming from the graphics card.

Attached are some screen shots. The first one is of the desktop when Mupen is running. For some reason, it generates some kind of phantom image or something in the upper left corner. This can be remedied by running the game in full screen. Unfortunately, this also makes it harder to kill Mupen if it becomes unstable. The second screen shot is of Mupen's shortcut icon. I don't understand why it looks like that, but it does...

Anyway, any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated. Oh, and I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section. Or if some of this comes off as rude.

OP
E

EdgeHypermatter

Just Edge will do.
That's actually kind of better (which is suprising to me, the last time I installed that driver, it removed some of a game's functionallity.) There are still some issues (Sprites vanishing altogether, smoke effects are black squares), but hey, it doesn't forcibly reboot my computer anymore, so that's a plus.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
ATI RAGE PRO line of cards are hopelessly subpar as far as gaming and emulation are concerned. There's really not much you can do (no driver update will help, I'm fairly sure) except get a new graphics card.